Cubalaya

cubakid

Songster
9 Years
Aug 22, 2010
Cubalayas originated in Cuba where they are very extensively bred. They are an oriental breed and are traced back to birds coming from the Orient, most probably from the Philippine Islands. Staltely carriage, short beaks, broad, short heads, with a fierce appearance, a well spread tail and t uninterrupted line from base of neck to end of tail are typical characteristics of the breed. they are of medium size and striking appearance. Admitted to the Standard in 1939.

Economic Qualities

Very hardy and their white meat is greatly appreciated by epicures.

Disqualifications

Tail carried above the horizontal. (See General Disqualifications and Cutting for Defects.)

Standard Weights

cock..6lbs Hen..4lbs
cockerel..4.5lbs Pullet..3lbs

Wheaten Hen
66074_dscn0741.jpg

Wheaten Cock
66074_dscn0719.jpg

Thanks for the pics. I have a wheaton cubalaya hen and probably wheaton rooster. They grow very slowly compared to other breeds. My cubalayas are 14 weeks and they are very small compared australrop and orpingtons.

Great looking white cubas! Wow!! We have eaten some of these guys, and they are no better or worse than any other lighter heritage breed as far a flavor, toughness, etc. They sure do grow SLOW, eventually, I aim to correct that with my birds...

Back
Top Bottom