Cuckoo Ko Shamo

Back crossing to the parents will restore purity, plus the new color you want. As in parent, I mean the purebred mother to second generation son.
You can also take 2nd generation daughter, & breed to a purebred unrelated cock.

Breeding Barred male to solid female will produce all Barred offspring since he's double barred.

Since the male offspring from the first crossing will only be single Barred, you breed them together to lock in the traits you want, & keep the double barring factor of the males.

Thank you so much for your time and input. Greatly appreciated.

One last question I have is does it make any difference that a Dominique is a soft feathered bird and a KO Shamo is a hard feathered bird?

There is no need to breed F1s to each other, just get the best F1 male and breed it back to mother Shamo, the Back Cross will be 75% Shamo and 50% of them will be single Barred

What is difference between single and double barred?

is it to do with the genes or the pattern of the barring? Sorry for sounding ignorant this is my first attempt.

Thanks

What is difference between single and double barred?

is it to do with the genes or the pattern of the barring? Sorry for sounding ignorant this is my first attempt.

Thanks
Double Barring Males are lighter than single barred males, single barred males have only one copy of the sex linked barring gene.

1642107273536.png

1642108887993.png

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your time and input. Greatly appreciated.

One last question I have is does it make any difference that a Dominique is a soft feathered bird and a KO Shamo is a hard feathered bird?
You're welcome.

I wasn't talking about a Dominique, I was talking about a Dom Gamefowl. But I guess you Could use a Dominique. I just see one issue, & that's adding rose comb to pea comb, which would make a walnut comb.

No, it wouldn't make much difference. The back crossing will restore the tight/hardness of the feathering.

This is missing discussion of slow feathering which Barring requires but cuckoo does not. The best I recall, slow feathering is sex linked meaning the direction of the cross may be more important than is suggested so far. I haven't looked into this because I am not working with barring, but I am working with slow feathering to get laced birds.

This is missing discussion of slow feathering which Barring requires but cuckoo does not. The best I recall, slow feathering is sex linked meaning the direction of the cross may be more important than is suggested so far. I haven't looked into this because I am not working with barring, but I am working with slow feathering to get laced birds.
I see no connection between slow feathering resulting in better bars, nor fast feathering creates Cuckoo.
All my barred birds are fast to moderate to feather out. Except my Heritage Plymouth Barred Rocks.

These are fast to Moderate feathered birds of mine.
20210929_135207.jpg
20201106_220841.jpg
20201119_134037.jpg
20201207_141239.jpg
20211006_142327.jpg

My slow feathering birds. Heritage Plymouth Barred Rock, & Mix of Heritage Rock & Buff Orpington.
20210909_142900.jpg
20210929_135227.jpg
20211028_113049.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/slow-feathering-and-barred-pattern.97921/

You might look up the way to detect fast vs slow feathering which depends on day old chicks up to about 6 weeks old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_feathering_in_chickens

I have Kn, Ks, and K+ in my birds. I'd like to get rid of Kn as it causes near naked chicks meaning little or no down feathers on most of their body. Since both Kn and Ks produce highly defined lacing, I would love to get down to just Ks in all of my birds.

Last edited:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/slow-feathering-and-barred-pattern.97921/

You might look up the way to detect fast vs slow feathering which depends on day old chicks up to about 6 weeks old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_feathering_in_chickens
I know the difference between a fast, & slow feathering bird.

Slow feathering cockerel. 1 week old.
20210512_094837.jpg
Fast Feathering cockerel, 1 week old.
20210512_095135.jpg
Fast Feathering pullet, 1 week old.
20210512_095427.jpg
These are birds in pictures #1. #5. #7.

Last edited:
Then I submit that the discussion still needs to include slow feathering vs fast feathering as it is definitely a trait of interest to the original poster. Cuckoo shows up best without slow feathering. Barring shows up best with slow feathering.

Back
Top Bottom