Cuckoo Maran and Barred Rock. I don't think so! Barred is now a Cuckoo and Cuckoo is Black Sexlink??

Alanna

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jun 8, 2012
So I got a bunch of chicks on the 8th of June. Was told the one who is black and white is a Barred Rock and the other was a Cuckoo Maran. They should be about 4 weeks old or so give or take a little. The one that has the white does NOT have orange legs. They are pink with a light black wash over them. The other has a black beak and all black feet. Please look at all the pictures and tell me what you think... Also, if you think you could sex them by the pictures... By all means let me know what you think.. Also, the one with the black beak has this goldish color speckles coming in on the back and wing feathers. It's faint but you can see it. I DON'T think she is a Cuckoo. But could it be that the one with the white is a Cuckoo and that I just don't have a Barred Rock?

I would say the one is a cuckoo the one with the light colored legs and is a Roo as far as the other not sure Maybe black copper marans? possiable hen

the barred one looks to be a marans but the other im not sure about maybe sex link...marans cockerel and sex link pullet

That's what I was thinking too! But that's a shame about the barred one being a Marans Roo!!! Dang it! lol. So the other seems to be a Black sexlink pullet? Is that what you would say?

Could it be possible that the darker one is a Black Copper Marans and the lady just got it wrong. I did not get these from a hatchery but a farm. She had ALL KINDS of chicks. She showed me some of the eggs and I could tell she had marans eggs. Maybe a BCM got mixed in with the Cuckoo Marans. Possibility?

The lady I got them from doesn't carry black sexlinks but brought in Cuckoo marans and BCM.

I believe the black one is an English BCM. Looks just like my Sammi but my girl is French BCM because of the plentiful feathering on the legs and toes. Sammi's legs are a good bit thicker also but I still think you have a BCM.

I believe the black one is an English BCM. Looks just like my Sammi but my girl is French BCM because of the plentiful feathering on the legs and toes. Sammi's legs are a good bit thicker also but I still think you have a BCM.
Hi Yorklady,
did your BCM have the same type of weird speckles on the feathers like mine does? That is really confusing to everyone...

Back
Top Bottom