Cuckoo Maran/Barred Rock ?

Thanks! I've seen so many different-looking barred rocks, that I thought barred rocks and barred Plymouth rocks were 2 different breeds.

You very welcome, unfortunately, the hatcheries have messed with the Plymouth Barred Rock genetics and added who knows what breeds to their breeding programs, that the hatchery ones look more like the Marans than the BR's
duc.gif
I was on one of the Heritage threads, hoping someone could tell me what breed they used in mixing them...but no luck...it's just too hard to tell
roll.png
and could be virtually anything, as the Rooster has the predominate gene for the barring there are many breeds that could make them look more like the Marans. Also, there are recessive genes...so a Roo over a ......pick a breeding hen....could bring out that kind of feathering....

So is it the Copper Marans that usually lay the darker eggs?
Yes, the dark chocolate brown eggs are from the Cuckoo Marans....the other colors come from the Cuckoo...the Cuckoo was the first Marans in Cuckoo France, thus their name, and they crossed them with a bunch of other breeds to come up with the different coloring, then bred them to the standard and some of the colored Marans are recognized in the SOP, a few are not. Depends what country you are in for which ones are recognized.

ETA by coloring, I meant feather color, not egg color...egg color is the dark chocolate brown....sorry if that was confusing
hmm.png

Last edited:
HUH???? Did you mean the BR's are the least likely? It's the dark chocolate brown eggs that are breed specific for the Cuckoo Marans...I just read the standard for them on Google a few hours ago....they are a French breed and lay very dark chocolate brown colored eggs...I'll try to find the link again...maybe you typed it backwards and meant the BR's? LOL I do that all the time!!! Get things backwards I mean!

http://maransofamericaclub.com/cuckoomarans.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marans
No, I didn't get it backwards. I don't have personal experience with Marans, but from years spent on this board, folks have said the Cuckoo strains are least likely to lay dark eggs. I don't know if it's from introducing other breeds to get the Cuckoo color or what, but consensus seems to be the other colors lay darker eggs. Or maybe that Cuckoo are the more available birds from hatcheries, and hatcheries don't breed for dark eggs.

I truly know the difference between Barred Rocks and Cuckoo Marans, even with chemo-brain.

So is it the Copper Marans that usually lay the darker eggs?
From what I've read on here, yes. If you want the dark chocolate eggs, don't go with a hatchery bird. Buy privately and see what color eggs the parent stock lay. Most Marans breeders will be able to tell you what shade they lay on the Marans color chart and are very proud of their dark eggs. If a seller won't let you see the eggs, or can't tell you the shade, look for another seller. Come spring, there should be several sellers here on byc selling hatching eggs. Username bargain is one I can think of right off who has nice chocolate eggs.

No, I didn't get it backwards. I don't have personal experience with Marans, but from years spent on this board, folks have said the Cuckoo strains are least likely to lay dark eggs. I don't know if it's from introducing other breeds to get the Cuckoo color or what, but consensus seems to be the other colors lay darker eggs. Or maybe that Cuckoo are the more available birds from hatcheries, and hatcheries don't breed for dark eggs.

I truly know the difference between Barred Rocks and Cuckoo Marans, even with chemo-brain.
Oh dear...I didn't mean to offend you!
hmm.png
I just stumbled on some articles on the Cuckoo Marans last night and couldn't sleep, so was reading about them, and their really neat dark brown chocolate eggs. I didn't know anything about them till last night!!! I get things backwards all the time, and no chemo brain to blame it on, just a bad car accident and a tramatic brain injury, back in 2002...thought maybe you typed Maran and meant BR as that is what was being discused ....as the Barred Plymouth Rocks lay a light brown egg....gosh, now I feel absolutely horrible that I offended you!!!!!
sad.png
I have been breeding the Barred Plymouth Rocks for years, with a hiatus for some years, and still tend to type it as Plymouth Barred Rocks all the time, so thought it was just a typo....so sorry my dear!!!! I truly didn't mean to offend you!!!!!!
hide.gif

I hope it's OK to jump in and ask about one of my little guys...I'm pretty sure he's a roo, but if anyone thinks otherwise that would be cool to hear...anyway, I'm just not sure what he is. He came in a group of Andalusians chicks and Easter Egger chicks...and at first we thought EE, but no...I looked on the breeder's site, and they have Cuckoo Marans as well...so maybe - but I am just not sure that this breeder is 100%...and I think though pale, the legs on this guy look a bit yellow? Hard to tell - they are not SUPER yellow. Anyway, here's Fowler..please let me know what you think - he's just over 5 weeks.

I hope it's OK to jump in and ask about one of my little guys...I'm pretty sure he's a roo, but if anyone thinks otherwise that would be cool to hear...anyway, I'm just not sure what he is. He came in a group of Andalusians chicks and Easter Egger chicks...and at first we thought EE, but no...I looked on the breeder's site, and they have Cuckoo Marans as well...so maybe - but I am just not sure that this breeder is 100%...and I think though pale, the legs on this guy look a bit yellow? Hard to tell - they are not SUPER yellow. Anyway, here's Fowler..please let me know what you think - he's just over 5 weeks.

I wish I was better at telling roos from pullets, but that comb does stand out at ya. The legs don't look very thick though...are they? On my Barred Rock (who turned out to be a roo) his legs were really light then became yellow as he got a little older. I wish I remembered how old he was when they turned, but it seems like forever ago lol (If I remember right I got him in Sept last year and he was about 5 weeks old when I got him) Maybe yours could possibly be a mix of the Cuckoo Marans and an EE or some other colored layer that makes it an EE

I wish I was better at telling roos from pullets, but that comb does stand out at ya. The legs don't look very thick though...are they? On my Barred Rock (who turned out to be a roo) his legs were really light then became yellow as he got a little older. I wish I remembered how old he was when they turned, but it seems like forever ago lol (If I remember right I got him in Sept last year and he was about 5 weeks old when I got him) Maybe yours could possibly be a mix of the Cuckoo Marans and an EE or some other colored layer that makes it an EE
Thanks for your input - I guess time will tell. I wasn't thinking that he could be an EE - so that's a good thought! One thing I have learned is that the farm I got this batch from doesn't have pure stock! LOL! Know your breeders!
old.gif

I ordered both barred rocks and cuckoo marans, They are 3 weeks old right now. I think the barred rock is in front and the cuckoo maran is behind it, am I right? Any guesses on sex?

Back
Top Bottom