Cuckoo Marans pullet?

kristin07035

Songster
6 Years
Jan 15, 2014
NJ
I purchased this Cuckoo Marans & Speckled Sussex on Sunday as sexed pullets. They are around 2 months old...but now I'm wondering if my pullet is not a pullet as pictures I've seen could point to roo :*(
What do you guys think?

Last edited:
SS looks like a pullet and so does the Cuckoo Marans.

Some of the girl Marans get worrisome combs in size, but they remain pale...the boys by 8 weeks are LARGE and red.

So you've got a Cuckoo Marans pullet, if she is following the standard line (albeit featherless).

And yeah, that's cuckoo vs. barred.

LofMc

See my BCM brood below to see what I mean by a Marans roo vs. pullet...the next to last photo is my roo at about 9 weeks of age. The last photo is my pullet (mossy back) at about 12 weeks of age.

Last edited:
Can't agree with you more...he did ASK me if I kept him separate or with my other chickens...to which I replied I always quarantine & keep separate but I was honest others may not be...and for that reason into quarantine she went...
I am always of two minds on situations that resolve this way - on the one hand, it's great that you were able to be rid of the bird you didn't want and get the bird you were originally trying to wind up with --- but, on the other hand, as nice as his swap was for you you also have to consider how many other people he may be making the same accommodation for and the bio-security issues this brings with it as birds go home to various flocks, get returned to mix with each other and the rest of the birds still at the store and then all those birds go back out to new flocks..........there is potential for some very negative outcomes there.

Well I'll start by saying your Sussex does look like female.
At two months I would expect to see more of a comb on the Maran but it's comb and wattle are red so I'm very torn. If I had to guess I would say pullet as well because in the first picture the comb isn't in a semi circle shape like a cockerels, it's a straight line like a pullets

Back
Top Bottom