Cuckoo Marans roo/hen confusion

TracyK

Songster
11 Years
Oct 23, 2012
Hi all, I have a question about this bird that I’m actually quite embarrassed to ask at this point but it’s been on my mind. I had an old thread about him/her where most input was male at first but switched to female because wasn’t as light as most males are.
Right now I have 2 Cuckoo Marans in my flock. They hatched spring 2019. One definitely obviously female from the start. This one I was on the fence about so I started a thread. Always more prominent barring, mildly curved tail, slow feathering, grew to be so much bigger, big comb, spurs... I recently got a Lavender Orpington rooster & I’ve been comparing the 2 birds & this one has a larger comb than the LO & very much larger than the female Marans or any of the other hens. Has never crowed or been aggressive or tried to mate that I saw & I thought I was getting too many Marans eggs to continue to debate (but I did have a golden cuckoo Marans who I thought was to old to lay still but may have been) 👀👀 There has been no fighting with the LO roo. Aside. I got the LO roo for protection if I started letting them range in 1/2 the yard again, not to breed & the run is actually quite large with deep forest floor mixture. They used to run the whole yard when we just had a chihuahua but added a large mini poodle who has a VERY strong prey drive & she hurt the female cuckoo Marans really bad so didn’t want to risk that happening again.
I’m including pics of both birds as chicks & now as adults for comparison between this bird & the definite hen. My concern if I have 2 roosters now is fighting. Also wondering if a hormone imbalance could cause this much masculine traits including the strong face structure. And if it is hormones can it be helped without wild amounts or money being involved.
Of note, this bird was always shy & there was a dominant cockerel in the chicks he was raised with who was rehomed by 6 months & this batch were hatchery chicks because I thought I couldn’t have roosters where I live & most breeders don’t sex chicks. They have very light leg feathers and were marketed as “French Cuckoo Marans” rather than “Cuckoo Marans” which they also sell. I’m wondering if the hatchery used black Marans over cuckoo Marans females to try to introduce leg feathers and didn’t mark as such 🤷🏼‍♀️ because one person has said that he is a rooster but only has 1 copy of barring gene. Any feedback is much welcome
2EFE5397-987A-4CB2-AB18-F0E9EF7A33D4.jpeg

2423A87D-EFB1-45E6-85BB-33662D9C66F8.jpeg
2DA7DD57-362D-4C8D-A649-B8B8B836B3C5.jpeg
2A56F555-9B4A-4349-8436-2B3AECB578A8.jpeg
05EE8FA4-DDCF-448F-B84F-2E7705BB1F6B.jpeg
02BE9FD8-3202-42C2-8AC1-8FD3BAB79372.jpeg
B93C202A-0EA9-4C27-BEE9-4FFB56FB1F0D.jpeg

Does it lay eggs? If not, then I think it is a female with a damaged ovary. When that happens, the effected female will take on masculine traits, including very large combs and wattles but not usually male specific feathering. Sometimes a hen with this problem will try to mount other hens, but not if a rooster is around, usually. Anyway, that is my guess.

Does it lay eggs? If not, then I think it is a female with a damaged ovary. When that happens, the effected female will take on masculine traits, including very large combs and wattles but not usually male specific feathering. Sometimes a hen with this problem will try to mount other hens, but not if a rooster is around, usually. Anyway, that is my guess.
I thought I used to have eggs from him/her but the 6yr old golden cuckoo Marans was also in the flock then so could have been her. I wish I’d been in spot take pics back then.
It's either a female with a damaged ovary or a male with damaged gonads. I'll bet it doesn't lay eggs or show any interest in breeding.
I’ve never seen mating behavior & the stronger characteristics didn’t jump out at me until recently. As long as “he” doesn’t start fighting or “she” doesn’t get sick from it … I guess it’s not so huge a thing

I’m just a little mind blown I wouldn’t have noticed this sooner if actually a rooster. I really wish I could find interim pictures

I remember I used to look have to look hard at them to tell them apart but not now.

I'm honestly confused
Cus at this point its brain racking
The color and build screams hen
But the spur and comb got me thinking

I'm honestly confused
Cus at this point its brain racking
The color and build screams hen
But the spur and comb got me thinking
So if she’s a hen with damaged ovaries is she in danger? Seems otherwise healthy. No avian vet within 200 miles at least.

So if she’s a hen with damaged ovaries is she in danger? Seems otherwise healthy. No avian vet within 200 miles at least.
No, it's a bit like women going through "the change" growing facial hair. She's just not producing enough estrogen to maintain her more feminine characteristics. There shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom