Cuckoo Marans - rooster maybe?

Teya

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 24, 2014
I re-homed my Cuckoo Marans when he was about 10 weeks old pretty sure that he was a Roo based on the double barring on the feathers.
The new owners just sent me a pic- and even though I thought I was getting good at this stuff, I still think it's hard to tell what he/she is.
What do you all think? Not much of a comb, huh?
He's about 23 weeks old in this picture.

Last edited:
You were right, it's a male. See the saddle and hackle feathers? Sometimes roosters start off with a smaller comb. As they age, their combs will get bigger.

Absolutely a rooster.

Maybe not a pure marans, either. See the patches on the wings with the white and reddish color? Pure barred or cuckoo roosters don't have those. They're also lighter in color overall.

But, your bird has saddle feathers, the long pointy feathers hanging down in front of his tail. Same on the neck, those are hackle feathers.

I'm not sure why his comb isn't larger or redder. He may not be in good health? Or just a slow developer.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Good to know my gut was right.

As far as him being a sex-link- I doubt it.
I ordered a hen from a fairly reputable hatchery and got a boy by mistake-- I know mix ups happen, and they refunded my money, but I like to think they wouldn't have mixed up a sex link!

Thanks everyone for the responses. Good to know my gut was right.

As far as him being a sex-link- I doubt it.
I ordered a hen from a fairly reputable hatchery and got a boy by mistake-- I know mix ups happen, and they refunded my money, but I like to think they wouldn't have mixed up a sex link!
Well, he's not a pure bred, so from a hatchery it's quite likely he's a sex link.

As a chick, a sex link male and a pure barred or cuckoo female are identical with regards to barring. It's quite possible this bird got tossed in the wrong bin.

Back
Top Bottom