Chicken 34

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 19, 2012
Hartwell ga
Does anybody have cuckoo marans?
D.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got four Cuckoo Marans pullets to add to my small flock of six Buff Orpingtons. They have been in a separate coop and pen for a few weeks to get them used to the property and to grow up a bit before they meet the "big girls". I'm shocked by how different they are from the Orpingtons. So flighty and they speak an entirely different chicken language.

Tonight we are planning on combing the flock while they are all sleeping/resting.

The big question is: the Marans are eating All Purpose Feed while the Orpingtons are eating Layer Feed. Can the big girls eat all purpose feed for a couple of weeks while the Marans grow up enough to switch to Layer Feed? I don't want them on Layer Feed until they start laying...

Thanks!
Yep.

Many of us feed everyone an all purpose feed---all in one, all flock, flock raiser, etc. Or a basic grower feed. If your Orpingtons are laying, offer them egg shells or oyster shells to maintain calcium intake. Besides that, they'll be fine.

Is the cuckoo maran a small bird?
I purchased 2 this April. One is half the size of the other.???Both seemingly small.

No they should be full size chickens
My smallest one a cockerel is half the size of my biggest one a hen
All same age!
They are growing fast though 7 wks tomorrow and they are huge

I bought this chick from a feed store that gets their chicks from Privett Hatchery!

Here is Seraphina:
(Please ignore the purple dot - the feed store told me Privett does that to all their Cuckoo Marans
so everyone can tell them apart from Barred Rocks!)

She's a greedy little bugger and when I give them mealworm treats.. she is always the first one to run up and grab them!
She's only about 1 week and 5-6 days but she's faster than my older chicks!

This resulted in her having a HUGE crop that did not go away when she woke up!
It was so hard and huge. Luckily I noticed it the next day!
I used a straw to "feed" some extra virgin olive oil to her then opened her beak and dropped some chick grit in
then supplemented all the chicks water with vitamins!
They have a little saucer full of chick grit to have as they please but I guess she didn't know what it was yet?
Anyway, her crop was deflated today and she is a happy girl!

Last edited:
check out feathersite for pics...a good marans should lay nice dark brown eggs and have white legs. some types should also have feathered shanks such as the fbcm and the cuckoo(if im not mistaken).

what are you looking for, info or pics?

My dad has a friend that wants to give us a cuckoo maran it is very skiddish and friendly handsome to

Back
Top Bottom