Cull Considerations - Slow Start and Slow Growth

FluffyButtNut

In the Brooder
May 9, 2023
Oxford, AL
Hi Everyone,

I am new to chicken-keeping (since Jan 2023) and LOVE it. I currently have an adult mixed flock of 1 roo/6 hens, and this is my first spring hatching/raising a mixed flock of chicks (30 total - 5 cockerels/25 pullets) and it's my goal to eventually integrate (most) into one large, harmonious flock. I understand I will need to cull some of my cockerels and wanted to get some advice on one cockerel in particular - a Black Copper Marans.

I have 3 BCM chicks (1 pullet and 2 cockerels), 6 weeks old, however one of the cockerels has been slow to adjust and slow to grow. When I first picked up him and his siblings at 2 days old, he cried regularly for a few days but eventually settled in with the rest of the chicks. Today he is noticeably smaller when compared to his flock mate brother (see pics below), but runs around as an accepted member of my bitty flock, challenging all different sizes of chicks (ages range 6 weeks - 9 weeks) and acting like everyone else. Should this cockerel be culled from the flock based on this information? Or, should it count against him when choosing what cockerels to keep? What behavioral information should I consider when weighing who to keep? He is still very young but I am curious to what degree I should weigh this information when deciding who stays. My must-haves for my roosters are a good demeanor/non-aggressive and a work-horse for my hens (protector, watchful eye, food finder), as I intend to free range them and hatch babies to grow my flock. My adult rooster, Rufus, is a rock star and a great example of how a rooster should be. Appreciate any advice/input!

*I am fairly certain my wee one is a he and not a she; pics below. If y'all tell me you think he's a she, I will attempt a back flip 😆

IMG_8094.jpg
IMG_8096.jpg

Have you heard him trying to crow or has he tried to attack your hand if you pick him up? I would have said pullet based on the comb size and color.

He has not tried to crow yet. I have 5 cockerels and only 1 has begun to crow however all the other cockerels are very clearly cocks based on their larger red/pink comb and wattles. When I try to pick him up he runs for the hills and then squeals like a pig once caught 😂 But all of my cocks allow me to pick them up as needed without any drama...so far at least. If he ends up being a she, I would be thrilled because this would be a non-issue 🙏

Going by comb and wattle size and colour, it could be a pullet.
However, it does have the trait marks of a slow developing cockerel, and that is what I am inclined to.
When selecting which to keep, if that is in deed the case, I would give a pass on him. He could be fully healthy, but even so slow development is not something that I would want to pass on.

This may help - pics (again) of my slow-grower and a picture of my pullet, who is the same age.

Based on how the little one asserts himself and charges around the place, I'm thinking late blooming cockerel. Appreciate the input!

Attachments

• IMG_8102 (1).jpg
    IMG_8102 (1).jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8107 (1).jpg
    IMG_8107 (1).jpg
    505.1 KB · Views: 12
Possibly cockerel but he might just be a faster developing hen . If he dose turn out a cockerel I wouldn't keep him since he is growing so slowly.

At 6 weeks with that sized comb and the red wattles and the upright posture, I'm pretty sure that is a boy. And I agree with the others, as he is that slow to grow and mature I would not want him breeding chicks.

Maybe it is the picture, but he does not look to have a symmetrical form, either. I would not keep him.
Thanks, Mrs. K. I'm pretty sure it was my excellent photography skills because he does look unsymmetrical in that picture.

Update: Here are pics of the boy from yesterday; very little growth but happy running with the rest of the flock. I'm still thinking he's a he. Still not a cockerel I plan to keep to mate with my hens.

Attachments

• IMG_8182.jpg
    IMG_8182.jpg
    847.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8184.jpg
    IMG_8184.jpg
    813.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8185.jpg
    IMG_8185.jpg
    861.3 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom