Culling Ducks: Hands Off Method

I understood the purpose of this post too. Not everyone has it in them to chop off a head or break a neck- they just do not. I am sure Kevin doesn't mind if you guys want to share how you prefer to do it. This is a topic seldom discussed and honestly- it SHOULD be discussed more often. It's a part of farm life. The more options people are armed with, the better really.

Last edited:
It would be a very easy death. They would just fall asleep. That is why it is so dangerous in your house.
I 'assumed' (i could be TOTALLY wrong) it was a bit like the person who chooses to commit suicide in his garage with the car running. It's often picked because it is generally painless. It is not quick. I know they are different gasses- I just assumed the end result was quite similar.

Last edited:
Slowly suffocating doesn't sound like an easy way to die to me.
Co2 doesn't cause slow suffocation or any suffocation at all. If it did Co2 obviously wouldn't still be used today by many vets. Co2 is a nervous system depressant. Concentrated levels basically cause the animal to be anesthetized. The Co2 effects the nerves sending signals out to the body. If the heart and lungs aren't given the okay to continue pumping then the seize to. It's defiantly not as quick as some other methods but it's not a torturous method that some people make it out to be.

I understood the purpose of this post too. Not everyone has it in them to chop off a head or break a neck- they just do not. I am sure Kevin doesn't mind if you guys want to share how you prefer to do it. This is a topic seldom discussed and honestly- it SHOULD be discussed more often. It's a part of farm life. The more options people are armed with, the better really.
I couldn't agree more Zoo. I never meant to come across as this method being perfect or being the best. It defiantly has it's flaws like any other method out there. The important thing is for everyone to have the knowledge of different methods besides the traditional ones. I knew this was going to be a taboo subject that may offend some people. As long as we all remain civil towards each other I hope more methods can be discussed.
I 'assumed' (i could be TOTALLY wrong) it was a bit like the person who chooses to commit suicide in his garage with the car running. It's often picked because it is generally painless. It is not quick. I know they are different gasses- I just assumed the end result was quite similar.
Yes I do believe Carbon monoxide does share certain euthanizing traits.

I agree with kevin that this is just another method for humanely doing what needs to be done at times.
Nature is not so humane, predators do not worry about the treatment of their food source when harvesting.
I watched a show on TV where the poultry farm gathered the birds and placed them head towards the ground in a funnel shaped holder, they had an electrical device shaped like BBQ tongs and shocked the birds head to knock it out reducing stress and then cut it's throat to bleed it out and finish the task.
I know it's not anything most people want to do but if you happen to find yourself in that situation, find the best way to do the job for you and the bird.

Killing a bird is not something I'm looking forward to. However, seeing what that bleeding heart tendency can do to a flock has me confident that I can and will kill a bird if necessary.

Instead of wasting a bird like that, why don't you find someone that would process it for you and donate it to a needy family. This country wastes too much food as it is. Can you imagine what a nice duck dinner would mean to that family? Let's stop the waste and stop the hunger at the same time.

Instead of wasting a bird like that, why don't you find someone that would process it for you and donate it to a needy family. This country wastes too much food as it is. Can you imagine what a nice duck dinner would mean to that family? Let's stop the waste and stop the hunger at the same time.

Who said you can't kill them then eat them. That's what my plan is. Or can you not eat them if they've been CO2 poisoned. I'm not up on that stuff.

If someone chooses to then that is their choice. If one of my non pet birds had to be culled I would probably consider processing them for the dogs. However, I personally have no intention of processing my pet birds.
Who said you can't kill them then eat them. That's what my plan is. Or can you not eat them if they've been CO2 poisoned. I'm not up on that stuff.
Co2 is found naturally in the body. I see no reason why you could not process the bird if you chose to.

Hi there. New here and have a question. Please email me [email protected]. I have 4 ducks whom I love. 2 drakes, 2 females. They were all given to us 1.5 years ago. 1 drake and female are very tiny (weight wise), the other two are bigger. They are all pure white. So, my question is this. The lighter weight drake is acting strange. Constantly in water, spreads his wings, doesn't eat much etc. I have been feeding him separately, more niacin. It is not helping. Has anyone had this issue? I do not want him to suffer and need help. He is attached to a female and, the other two.

Back
Top Bottom