Culling in Northern Kentucky

Poultry Kitten

Chirping
Jul 11, 2023
I have a very sick hen and I need to have her culled. But I’m to attached to her to do it. Does anyone know a place in Northern Kentucky that could put her out of her misery? Thanks

I had to learn to cull my own chickens when one was suffering. Husband was willing, but he was not always home. Many use the cervical dislocation or broomstick method. I think that one needs practice. The method that sounds easiest is to use a pair of loppers to remove the head. Some use a hatchet. The one that works for me is to tie the legs together and hang them from a nail on a tree, which calms them. A killing cone is used the same way. Then I cut the jugular vein on either side of the neck, and then they bleed out in less than a minute. This is a method I saw online by a very experienced man who butchers chickens humanely.

Many of us have someone in the family or a neighbor who hunts and is used to putting animals down. That is a good thing. But we all need to know how to do this eventually if we have chickens.,

I ended up taking he to the vet it was $50. Rest in peace Gemma.
IMG_0240.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom