Culling is hard on my heart, yours?

HollyTree

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
Little Rock, Arkansas
I'm new to raising chickens and I do want to experience the fullness of raising chickens from chick to table. I understand why culling is necessary- especially for health reasons.
I know this is part of farming chickens but I'm having a hard time facing it. I have a little RIR that needs to be culled. She's been sick and she's not growing like she should. I say I'll do it today, then day after day she is still here.
I guess I'm looking for a pep talk.

Just offering general support to a fellow chicken farmer facing a very tough thing. I have a soft heart, so culling would be very difficult for me.....even rehoming my cockerel made me cry a little.
Just try to remember that you're doing the best thing for your chick......and that she has had the best life possible in your care. Best wishes and good luck.
smile.png

hugs.gif
It is never easy...never! It just gets easier to handle with time. If she is sick and not thriving, then culling her would be the right thing to do for her. When it comes to culling a sick or injured bird, it is no longer about your heart...it is about the bird.

Just take a deep breath and do it. Cry, bury her and move on. It will be okay.
hugs.gif

I hate culling anything. Personnaly on my farm, we get a butcher to do it.
I sympathize with you though. I would never be able to eat something I raised from hand, you now personal...

We processed a roo this weekend (Sunday) and it was VERY hard. He was so sweet and when I called him he came right to us. We just have way too many roos and he was being a typical teenager with the hens and all the crowing was getting out of hand.

Anyway I still can't keep from thinking about it. I have to do 7 more roos this fall from a batch of chicks I bought in the spring and I am NOT making friends with these guys. They are all the same color (BO's) and hard to tell apart and I am glad.
sad.png

Have never done it - could not do it unless it was an absolutely necessary mercy cull. If your little bird is not healthy and never feels very well, maybe it is better off if you cull it. You would not be human if it didn't hurt your feelings, but you will heal up in time and next time it won't be so hard.
hugs.gif

hugs.gif
Knowing you did the right thing for the chicken makes you have a little peace with it. Killing anything, for food or illness purposes, shouldn't be easy. You are only human if you feel something for the animal that has to die.
hugs.gif

Get someone to do it for you if you aren't comfortable with it.

Culling is never easy to do but the sooner you do it the easier it will be for both you and the bird. Hold the chick in one hand and with the other hand arounds its head give a quick pull and it will separate the spine. No mess and as quick and painless as possible.

I am sorry you have come to this point in chicken ownership. The time always comes eventually, but it would be easier if it didn't. Culling is tough. It's hard on my heart, too. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom