culling roos when is the best age

Zookeeper9000

Songster
12 Years
Mar 1, 2008
Gladstone MI
Hi I am new to chickens it is my first year and I have roo's that need to be culled. I have BO, BR, BR/BO crosses and then I have some serma,Dorking mixes, and some bantams (what do you do with banatam roos are they even eatable). They were 14 weeks last Friday. I tried searching but am brain dead where that search function is.

My ? is at what age do you cull them, I am clueless as to what will be too old (tough as nails) and what would be too young (skin and bones) and what would be just right (tender and delish). Any help would be welcomed. Thanks in advance.

You can eat bantams but probably little to no meat on those serama bones.... You want to get rid of him you can send him to me
big_smile.png
. as far as the rest of the roos go im not sure i dont eat mine .... yet
wink.png
id say 4 months or so but im probably wrong. Hopefully soon someone with more knowledge will help you out

2 of those serema roo's are to die for in looks, they are crossed with Dorkings so they are a little bigger then normal serema's, wished ya lived closer.

you can cull them at 16 to 18 wks old.as said you can eat banty roos.but prolly not much meat on emm.

Back
Top Bottom