Culling with baking soda and vinegar

People find facts to fit what they already believe - they don't shape their beliefs to fit the facts.

What would be the right this is for people to stop saying its humane. It's not - at all, and anyone who has ever seen it done or knows anything about physiology knows that.

I actually have never even heard of this method before. I am simply offering comfort to someone who needs it.

Ditto mtngirl. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy. I"m sure the OP feels badly and will never make the same mistake. Not because we are telling her, but because of what she learned. So I offer comfort to someone who is hurting because that's how I roll.

I do see what GaWildlife is trying to say though. I have worked at a vet and a lot of times it takes people a lot more time to let an animal go than it should, causing the pet to hang on and suffer. I don't think that indicates an "extreme emotional issue" though. Fear of change and loss is normal human behavior, and decently exclusive human behavior at that. Not all of us have the same level of understanding and acceptance, and that's ok.

I am so sorry to hear about your poor chicken. I don't know how I would get rid of mine if and when the time comes. I know I couldn't do them in myself at all. I think I would call a farmer to have him take the chicken or chickens.

It's the worst part. I tried using argon (inert welding gas) to kill some chicks, it didnt work after 3 minutes, so went back to the axe. The axe is just so graphic though. No one likes doing it. Its sad

I have worked at a vet and a lot of times it takes people a lot more time to let an animal go than it should, causing the pet to hang on and suffer.

And this is the only thing you can go by. Dont prolong the inevitable, your little friend had a good life, give it a good ending too, without unnecessary suffering

And this is the only thing you can go by. Dont prolong the inevitable, your little friend had a good life, give it a good ending too, without unnecessary suffering

That's it exactly. We have responsibility to our animals. First we took the wild animals and bred to our purposes. Made them totally dependant on us for our benefit. From birth to death every aspect is our responsibility and if one is not totally prepared for every aspect of that from the joy of birth to the despair of death then one has no business owning an animal.

Whether you are a consumptive owner of animal like myself or just a compassionate soul seeking animal companionship it matters not because it's our duty.

Really? SMH I don't think that a person feeling sorrow over an animal suffering indicates she has "personal emotional issues". She was trying to do the right thing and she has learned her lesson on this. I'm not sure why you would feel your post was appropriate, but perhaps you should examine your own emotional issues (or your interpersonal issues at the very least).

I had to put down a chick who was sick, getting sicker and not eating or drinking no matter what I tried. I really had to work myself up to it. It was not "emotional issues" that delayed my action all day. It was two things really. One was that I had never killed an animal intentionally and it isn't something to be done lightly. The other was that doubt. What if I was wrong? What if the chick would have gotten better? When I looked at the poor creature, I knew what I had to do and I did it. It was hard and I cried a lot. But in the end, I know she was suffering and my "contract" with the animals I take into my life is to avoid having them suffer and of course, sometimes that means I have to make hard choices.

The point I am trying to make is that is exactly what you did too. You did what you thought was best for your hen. You put her first or you wouldn't have even contemplated putting her down at all. No one should attempt to lump you in with people who let their animals suffer for ages just so they don't lose them. The fact that you then got on here to warn other people about the method you used in order to spare their animals and them from the trauma you experienced, shows what a wonderful, caring person you are.

Go ahead and grieve. Then forgive yourself for what you didn't know and hold your head high.

Back
Top Bottom