Culling with baking soda and vinegar

That's it exactly. We have responsibility to our animals. First we took the wild animals and bred to our purposes. Made them totally dependant on us for our benefit. From birth to death every aspect is our responsibility and if one is not totally prepared for every aspect of that from the joy of birth to the despair of death then one has no business owning an animal.

Whether you are a consumptive owner of animal like myself or just a compassionate soul seeking animal companionship it matters not because it's our duty.

Yes, I agree that we do have a responsibility to our animals and should be prepared for taking care of them just as we take care of our families. What you fail to understand is that sometimes things happen in our live such as job loss (in my case) and we struggle to do the best we can. My animals are my family and I love them. I didn't create this horrible cruel world we live in, but I do try to cope with it the best I can. I made a BIG mistake, and I will never forget what happened. I learned from it and just wanted others to learn from my mistake so another animal does not have to suffer.

It is unfortunate that as caring animal owners we have to make the decision to euthanize sick birds. There really is not easy way to do it. Even when things don't go perfectly, we can learn from it and share our experiences so other may benefit from them.

I hope this thread will stay around for others to read in the future and perhaps share their experiences.

goodpost.gif

Thank you so much for your kind words. It does make me feel a little better because it just happened yesterday and I feel so guilty. I kept waking up all night thinking about it and crying. She was one of my sweetest hens. We babied her for over 6 months. I would make an awful animal farmer. I just don't the heart to take a life. I guess I need to stick to vegetables. I could cut the top off of a carrot any day lol.
hugs.gif
Anytime one of our chickens dies whether from illness, predator, or culling, it is hard to handle. I am about to put down a newly hatched chick and it doesn't seem that there is a perfect way. I have done it once before and wrung it's neck. Never again. The chick was 4 weeks old and the size of a 1 day old. Also a roo.

This chick is 1 day old, has curled toes and probably splayed legs. I have taped the toes and the legs, but those toes are miniature compared to the other hatched chicks. I don't think that those toes are suddenly going to be strong enough for him/her to stand.

I am down to either starter fluid, or baking soda and vinegar. I will have to stop reading eventually, and do the needy.

Hugs to all of you who have had to do this.

Loss is never easy.

You know, I agree with you in theory. Sometimes people don't understand when they are standing there looking at that puppy, kitten, duck, chick, etc., what exactly that means at the end of the animal's life. The reality of it. I've had cats all my life and I've had to have several of them put down. It's not the same as killing an animal yourself however, so I'm more inclined to have compassion for the OP trying to do the right thing and being misled by misinformation on this site about a method of culling.

Your experience and knowledge is valuable to a lot of people on this site and because of people like the OP, you and several others, I would not choose the baking soda/vinegar method if I ever had to cull another bird. So thank you for that.
I didn't realize that the vinegar and baking soda was meant for full grown birds. I thought it was just for chicks.

What surprises me is that none of you mentioned hanging the animal upside down and waiting for it to go into a trance, then slitting the throat. Death is never easy, but this was the easiest way I saw. I will never cut a chickens head off with an ax. I watched my Dad screw that up more than once and let's just say, I learned from his mistakes. I don't know about baby chicks though, Lot's of good info from you all, so Thank's for that.
smile.png

The only thing I considered that might better is carbon monoxide from car exhaust. Apparently it just puts you to sleep and you don't feel a thing. It seems rather labor intensive to hook it up to a car though. I'd also worry about a neighbor looking over and wonder what I was up to. They probably wouldn't ask, but I can see the rumor mill starting up already.

Then you have issues with heat from the exhaust and less exhaust emissions from a modern car.

Shou
i think we should not do mercy killing let GOD do whatever He like the best comfortable way for the animal. You just have to be patient and prey to GOD for ease

Should we stop treating cancer patients? Stop giving pain relief for broken bones? Stop giving people life saving surgery? No? Then we shouldn't let animals suffer needlessly either.

Back
Top Bottom