Culling

Juliesflock

Chirping
Jan 8, 2022
Culling is a reality of life when you are a animal owner and lover.

The gentlest forms of culling I would prefer.

For example. I had a twelve year old rabbit. He had a stroke. As long as he could stand after I assisted him to stand he could push off to the food dish and bury his face in food and eat to his delite and the watering bowl was pressed to his shoulder so he was wedged into a corner and he could flop over to drink. Because he was loved I assisted him for weeks. Then he had another stroke and could no longer stand to eat or drink.

I thought 2 adult dose Norco, tranquilizer shot 3cc should have done the trick, but no. After some research I found out that short of putting a hose attached to my car muffler to gas him was the least violent way to euthenize the fellow. I could not bare to ax off his head or shoot him, so I had to strangle him with my bare hands. After giving him two more adult doses of pain med's. That was traumatizing to me. He didn't put up a struggle which I was grateful for.
But it brings to the reason for this post. Euthenizing pets when you are poor and/or live so far out away from the veterinarian assistance. You know your chicken the most intimately.

For the different age set of baby chicks to full grown chicken's, what are some of the gentliest forms of culling a chick or chicken to save it from infection or prolonged painful death? I am not talking about meat birds, but pets.

Any ideas for chic's? I am thinking about refrigerator or freezer. Snuggly wrapping the chick up in a washcloth and placing in refrigerator. Refrigerator may not be such an immediate shock as a freezer or put into the snow. Every moment that goes by an animal suffers.

Thanks
Julie.
Updated. I found a very helpful site with some help and I want to share with other's so you can also learn about your options. https://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/how-to-cull-a-chick.html

On a personal note: don't ever allow another person to influence you to do nothing. To me that is more cruel.

I am going to attempt the baking soda and vinegar carbon monoxide process.

Thank you jacinlarkwell for the suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_20220108_133811296.jpg
    IMG_20220108_133811296.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Culling is a reality of life when you are a animal owner and lover.

The gentlest forms of culling I would prefer.

For example. I had a twelve year old rabbit. He had a stroke. As long as he could stand after I assisted him to stand he could push off to the food dish and bury his face in food and eat to his delite and the watering bowl was pressed to his shoulder so he was wedged into a corner and he could flop over to drink. Because he was loved I assisted him for weeks. Then he had another stroke and could no longer stand to eat or drink.

I thought 2 adult dose Norco, tranquilizer shot 3cc should have done the trick, but no. After some research I found out that short of putting a hose attached to my car muffler to gas him was the least violent way to euthenize the fellow. I could not bare to ax off his head or shoot him, so I had to strangle him with my bare hands. After giving him two more adult doses of pain med's. That was traumatizing to me. He didn't put up a struggle which I was grateful for.
But it brings to the reason for this post. Euthenizing pets when you are poor and/or live so far out away from the veterinarian assistance. You know your chicken the most intimately.

For the different age set of baby chicks to full grown chicken's, what are some of the gentliest forms of culling a chick or chicken to save it from infection or prolonged painful death? I am not talking about meat birds, but pets.

Any ideas for chic's? I am thinking about refrigerator or freezer. Snuggly wrapping the chick up in a washcloth and placing in refrigerator. Refrigerator may not be such an immediate shock as a freezer or put into the snow. Every moment that goes by an animal suffers.

Thanks
Julie
Please never attempt to overdose anything to euthanize it. It is an extremely awful way to die. It is not peaceful and often times only prolongs the suffering.

The refrigerator, as well as the freezer is also another extremely inhumane way to euthanize. They die very slowly and do not just go to sleep as people often say.

Back
Top Bottom