Cure for Chicken cancer?

Thechickentrainer1999

Songster
5 Years
Jul 30, 2018
North Carolina
Does anyone have any success at treating/curing cancer in chickens? I was told mine has it and she has lost all movement in her legs. Has been in a sling for the last few weeks. She seems to keep getting worse and I'm trying to do everything I can to slow/stop it.

Have been giving her alkaline water and am thinking about trying collodial silver? Any suggestions.

The short answer is no. What kind of cancer, do you know?
Marek's disease (caused by a virus) causes tumors that can cause paralysis in the legs. There is no treatment for that. If that's what it is then supportive care is really all you can do. If that's what's going on then even if she were to recover she will be a carrier of the virus for life., and it's quite contagious. Reproductive cancers are not uncommon and again, are not really treatable. There are some other virus's that can also cause tumors, like lymphoid leukosis. Generally with cancer, once they are obviously ill and not feeling well, I euthanize. Very sorry. :hugs

The short answer is no. What kind of cancer, do you know?
Marek's disease (caused by a virus) causes tumors that can cause paralysis in the legs. There is no treatment for that. If that's what it is then supportive care is really all you can do. If that's what's going on then even if she were to recover she will be a carrier of the virus for life., and it's quite contagious. Reproductive cancers are not uncommon and again, are not really treatable. There are some other virus's that can also cause tumors, like lymphoid leukosis. Generally with cancer, once they are obviously ill and not feeling well, I euthanize. Very sorry. :hugs
Hello, and thank you for your reply. :)
Thankfully she doesn't have mereks disease and has no lumps that you can feel. The doctor said they "believe" she has it near her abdomen which is likely pushing on a nerve for her legs to feel pain when touched. I'll post an xray. Let me know if you can make anything out, as it was kind of difficult for me to see. They said she also had what looked like part of a broken egg inside of her.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220912-090531_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220912-090531_Chrome.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20220912-090600_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220912-090600_Chrome.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20220912-090624_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220912-090624_Chrome.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 7
So it sounds like they think reproductive cancer. I'm not great at reading x rays. Sometimes tumors can push on the nerves causing lameness or paralysis. If she's got a decent quality of life still, then I would leave her be until she doesn't. If she's obviously feeling unwell, not eating or drinking, then I'd think about euthanizing, rather than let her suffer. They are really good at hiding illness, so usually when they act sick, they are very, very sick. So sorry.
:hugs

Back
Top Bottom