Curled spur

UrbanChickie

Chirping
Jul 28, 2017
New Orleans
6C5BEAA3-D5A5-4226-98F7-25ED0F820781.jpeg

I was cleaning feet to check for and possibly treat scaly mites and was surprised to find that my hen has a curled spur on one leg. She’s got some silky so there’s the extra toe too and everything lines up a little wonky. I’m wondering what the best way would be to get rid of the spur so it doesn’t irritate her. Also, the toe next to it sticks up and the nail hasn’t been wearing down like the others. Should i be trimming that? Any advise is greatly appreciated!

I had a rooster whose spurs got a bit long. I asked my grandpa if I could use one of his small handheld grinding stones to grind it down, which went well because the rooster was very calm and sweet. You need to be extra careful not to hit the actual flesh inside the spur, that's why trimming them makes me nervous. If you don't have a handheld grading stone you can try a dog nail clipper maybe, but you have to be careful; I've had a turkey lose a nail once and it looks very painful.

I had a rooster whose spurs got a bit long. I asked my grandpa if I could use one of his small handheld grinding stones to grind it down, which went well because the rooster was very calm and sweet. You need to be extra careful not to hit the actual flesh inside the spur, that's why trimming them makes me nervous. If you don't have a handheld grading stone you can try a dog nail clipper maybe, but you have to be careful; I've had a turkey lose a nail once and it looks very painful.
Thanks. I have cat nail clippers that I’ll try, but I’m not sure I’d be able to get in there. With the curl of the spur against the foot it’s pretty tight.

Back
Top Bottom