CUTS on there Backs while trying to hatch!!

I'll see if I can get a list of what all he has

Hey I have a friend that breeds Pekins. Her breeders are 2 years old, she's never had any issues with defects, etc.

She just hatched out a duckling with one foot bigger than the other, and it almost looks like it has a third wing on one side.

Is there any deficiency that would cause this??? It's never popped up before.

Quote:
sorry I didn't get back to this sooner.. had lost track of the thread.. anywho... he said he has everything Holderreads has plus all sorts of wood ducks, tree ducks, shelducks, pintails, cranes, and some swans. he is booked up until sometime in June... so i have no idea what he will have available then (not sure on the laying season for his birds)...
when he sent me the call eggs he also sent 10 black east indie eggs!..
wee.gif

I'm not a weigher when it comes to hatching, does anyone know what the Call duck egg should be at the starting weight?

it will depend on the size of the eggs since some calls lay larger eggs than others...

normally you can use Hoyt's method for determining the weight of eggs based on measurements... however that also requires a coefficient (and calipers).. and finding the coefficient requires the latin name of the species in order to look it up.. the problem with calls is that they have the same latin name as runners and pekins.... so finding an accurate coefficient is pretty darn impossible to the best of my knowledge..

(copy pasted from one of my articles)

You would need to use calipers to measure for an exact reading

It's known as Hoyt's method which requires a species specific coefficient (for emu eggs that would be 0.00056)
So using the calipers you would need to measure the length of the egg..
you would also need to measure the width of the egg
So starting Weight would be Species Specific Coefficient X Length X Width X Width
or
W = CSS x L x W x W

it will depend on the size of the eggs since some calls lay larger eggs than others...

normally you can use Hoyt's method for determining the weight of eggs based on measurements... however that also requires a coefficient (and calipers).. and finding the coefficient requires the latin name of the species in order to look it up.. the problem with calls is that they have the same latin name as runners and pekins.... so finding an accurate coefficient is pretty darn impossible to the best of my knowledge..

(copy pasted from one of my articles)

You would need to use calipers to measure for an exact reading

It's known as Hoyt's method which requires a species specific coefficient (for emu eggs that would be 0.00056)
So starting Weight would be Species Specific Coefficient X Length X Width X Width
or
W = CSS x L x W x W

So if a Call duck weighs 67 this isn't considered abnormal?? I noticed lately my calls are laying larger then normal eggs

Quote:

or
W = CSS x L x W x W

So if a Call duck weighs 67 this isn't considered abnormal?? I noticed lately my calls are laying larger then normal eggs

so long as they aren't having any issues.. I would attribute it to them being older birds.. (more stretched out so to speak)... remember .. pullet eggs tend to be a lot smaller than eggs laid by the same hen when she's older.. so the same goes for ducks

Now if you start seeing abnormal shells.. then that's a different matter.. but so long as the flock is healthy and not showing signs of issues I wouldn't worry about it.
You may also have a different bloodline that lays larger eggs .. so long as the birds are able to handle the size there's no reason to cull them (not that you would.. but some would just because they could)..

so long as they aren't having any issues.. I would attribute it to them being older birds.. (more stretched out so to speak)... remember .. pullet eggs tend to be a lot smaller than eggs laid by the same hen when she's older.. so the same goes for ducks

Now if you start seeing abnormal shells.. then that's a different matter.. but so long as the flock is healthy and not showing signs of issues I wouldn't worry about it.
You may also have a different bloodline that lays larger eggs .. so long as the birds are able to handle the size there's no reason to cull them (not that you would.. but some would just because they could)..

OK so just because the eggs are bigger doesn't mean that they aren't pure bred. Because as far as I know all my calls are pure breed but lately some of the eggs are larger then others. I noticed this happening to my Butterscotches, this is there first time laying..

Quote:
are the adult birds the correct size?.. if they are and fit the "breed standards" (color and size and so on) then I would assume they are pure...

lol.. but you also have to remember that a lot of times people will outcross for a generation here and there if they are dealing with a limited gene pool.. but after so many breedings down the road back within the proper breed they are once again considered to be "pure" by the breed standards and experts.. it happens in chickens all the time... outcrossing to get a desired color or trait to add in the desired genes.. then breeding back into the regular stock.. to make the bird "pure" again...

Back
Top Bottom