D.E. for Mites

blueoval1

Songster
11 Years
Oct 21, 2008
Raleigh N.C.
I bought some chickens that had mites, The seller informed me of the problem but I thought it would be an easy fix, I am having trouble ridding my flock of mites. I have tried dust and liquid permecthrin(spelling) but it is not working. I thought about using DE or if any one had any other suggestions?

DE works sometimes as a preventative. Once they are infested DE has never worked for me. The last time I used Ivomec. I needed to worm the birds anyway. Using the 1% Cattle injectable Ivomec I placed 4-7 drops on each bird depending on size. I have even used it on 2 week old chicks that got some internal parasite. They were bantams. I used a 22 gauge needle to get a drop half the size of normal and gave 1-2 per chick. Normally I use a syringe to pull the ivomec from the bottle and then remove the needle to do the drops. I apply to the skin at the base of the neck on their back. You have to make sure it is on the skin and not stopped by the feathers.

2 years ago this also got rid of my never ending battle with LICE. This was the only thing that put an end to the birds infestation of those nasty little bugs.

Matt

My birds don't have mites so far, but last month I bought a 50# bag of DE and I use it in the nest boxes and the floor litter. I also sift some onto their feed about once a week to take care of internal pests.

Quote:
Do you think Ivomec would take care of scaly leg mites? My frizzle rooster has them and I can't seem to get them gone for good either. I've tried many topical applications of vaseline, baby oil and the like.
Thanks!

Quote:
The Merck Vet. Manual says this about scaly leg mites: "Individual birds should be treated with oral or topical ivermectin." Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom