daily vitamin supplement

redriding

Songster
Aug 31, 2020
british columbia canada
i’d like to start giving my 2 yr old ISA girls a daily vitamin supplement that i can mix in their feed

i give them Poul Vite in their water once in a while but i’d like to switch to something i can mix in their food mash i make them

what does everyone use/recommend ?

What are you feeding them?

Please consider, that most poultry feed/pellets already contain a lot of artificial vitamins, so adding another daily dose, might lead to overdosing and detrimental effects.
they get layer pellets. reason i was wondering is because our temps have dropped drastically and i’ve read some links that say to feed extra vitamins to help them along. rooster booster comes up a lot. so do they mean only supplement once a week or something ?

I can't speak for others and what they meant, but I would make sure they are thoroughly dewormed and afterwards would only give them a vitamin supplement once a week max.

To help them stay warm in very cold temperatures, you could feed some whole corn in the evenings.

I forgot to mention: In winter it is important to provide them with ample grit/rough sand, as often the ground is frozen or covered in snow and they will not be able to pick it up when roaming outside.

And a complete feed that's fresh by mill date should be fine all winter too. Adding extra corn to a already lower protein layer feed is not helpful! Birds will eat extra feed in cold weather for the necessary calories. Unfrozen water at all times matters, and a good place for roosting.
And choosing breeds that manage your climate.
Mary

And a complete feed that's fresh by mill date should be fine all winter too. Adding extra corn to a already lower protein layer feed is not helpful! Birds will eat extra feed in cold weather for the necessary calories. Unfrozen water at all times matters, and a good place for roosting.
And choosing breeds that manage your climate.
Mary
We don't know the percentage of the layer feed provided by the OP, it could be 18-20%.
Upping the protein percentage of their feed for winter would help them too.

And as it ususally comes in pellet form and is easily dissolved/digested, the chickens' digestive tract needs something harder to keep the digestive system active over long winter nights, which helps to keep them warm.

Of course, everyone has their own experiences, but for me adding some corn in winter just before roosting time worked and still works with my flocks for long spells with temperatures as low as minus 29°Celsius.

I totally agree that grit is essential all year! Our birds get limited treats, maybe three days weekly, which includes scratch feed, here including corn and goodies, but as a treat only.
I did generalize about the layer feed, because most here is 16% protein.
And southern BC will be milder than northern BC, as far as winter temps are concerned.
Here we can get to -20F, but not that often.
Mary

I mix in high protein chick starter for extra vitamins and protein in the winter months. Once a month everyone gets an overnight dose of poultry cell diluted in their water. The problem with poultry vitamin supplements is that they are highly concentrated and too much of a good thing can be a very bad thing especially with vitamins. They can be given daily over short periods of time, but I would err strongly on the side of caution doing daily or even weekly doses long term. The side effects of a long-term vitamin overdose can cause serious health complications such as vomiting, weakness, bone problems and even organ damage.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom