Songster
10 Years
Jun 8, 2009
Texas
....because one person complained.

City to North Haven Gardens: No chicks
11:44 AM Wed, Jun 24, 2009
Mariana Greene/Gardening Editor

North Haven Gardens, which earlier this month took the unusual step of adding henkeeping supplies, housing and even juvenile hens to its gardening and landscaping inventory, has been told by the city the chicks must go.

NHG aimed to be a one-stop shop for urban henkeeping, taking advantage of Dallas' already burgeoning city-chickens trend (East Dallas has been adding backyard flocks at a fast pace for the last few years and Dallas-area city-chicken forums draw hits from all over the continent). Leslie Halleck, NHG general manager and herself a new chick mom, saw a niche and convinced NHG owners to let her fill it.

A few days ago, the owners were contacted by then-city councilman Mitchell Rasansky (whose successor was sworn in Monday), who warned them a constituent had made a complaint to the zoning department. Didn't matter that NHG had sought permission from code enforcement, health and environmental services, animal control and special events before embarking on this plan.

North Haven was visited by each department's inspectors, says Halleck, who signed off on their request. Rather than fight city hall, NHG cancelled its hen exchange for this Saturday. It will still hold the basic henkeeping class and still sell supplies for backyard coops, but Probst may not deliver presold chickens to NHG customers. In the past, Probst sold juvenile hens, or pullets, from a specially outfitted truck in NHG's overflow parking lot.

NHG's foray into urban henkeeping has been so successful that the store had to schedule extra how-to sessions to deal with overflow crowds who were turned away from the initial session.

Rasansky wouldn't reveal the name of the complaining constituent. But he explained to NHG that by contending urban henkeeping is a complementary component of organic gardening, growing one's own vegetables and composting the garden center is plowing new ground, setting a precedent, Halleck says.

NHG, a business established more than half a century ago, is allowed to remain in the North Dallas residential neighborhood under a grandfather clause.

"While we feel we are in compliance and received all necessary permission from several city departments to go ahead with the sales," Halleck says, "we are cooperating with the city to resolve the issue and move forward in the correct manner."​

The complainer is a real part pooper. There seems to be one in every crowd. Perhaps if city hall got complaints from the other side, they would ask them to bring the chickens back.

rant.gif

My boyfriend's brother works at NHG, so I'm going to ask him to keep me updated on the situation-- it sounds like they're going to fight this any way they can, and the councilman who gave the order was replaced, so who knows? They might get their chicken-dealing privileges back again.

I wonder if they could have a Chicken Swap/Sale in their parking lot once a month? That way they could still sell their chicken supplies, and could supply buyers with chickens without it being under their roof.

Dallas politics are the pits. I grew up there and most of my family still live there. Seems like every time I visit, the newspapers are full of some local political scandal--the school district, the county attorney's office, the mayor or police chief, etc. Graft, theft, corruption, etc.

This is what happens when you try to be tolerant - you end up cow-towing to the intolerant.

It sounds like the garden center is on the right track and will win in the end. But it only takes one "concerned citizen" to muck things up and make for a rocky road. A public hearing needs to be held to determine what ALL the citizens of the municipality have to say.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - - C. S. Lewis

I don't understand!

One complaint to the zoning department.

So what! Big deal.

People complain everyday, having unreasonable demands and expectations.

If I read the news article and subsequent post correctly, the nursery/ garden center is grandfathered into a residential nieghborhood. The sale/swap/exchange of chickens was checked out by all kinds of city goverment.

So why not tell that city counselman, who ain't even a counselman, to go climb a pole.

I sure am glad I live in a rural area, cause I for sure would not be a very good nieghbor to some of our more urbane bretheren.

North Haven Gardens holds bi-monthly "chicken meetings" to teach people about how to raise backyard chickens, hosted by Dan Probst of Bagienice Farms (about 45 minutes outside Dallas, they're Polish and specialize in Polish chickens).

So I went to this morning's meeting, and Probst was optimistic that he'd be back to selling chickens there again within a couple of weeks or so. I hope he's right!

He's also organizing a mailing list of people to appeal to the city council of Plano (just north of Dallas), where keeping chickens is not legal, to change the law. I enthusiastically signed up.

Back
Top Bottom