Damaged Chicken Condo

mml373

Chirping
Aug 3, 2019
Hi. I have one of these: https://chickencondos.com/coops-only/modern-barn-coop.html and had an accident with it that's left a couple panels damaged. I'm going to need to make a strong structural repair using fiberglass cloth and epoxy.

Unfortunately I don't know what kind of plastic is used for this coop, which makes choosing the right kind of epoxy a bit difficult. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I'll need to be able to get the epoxy at my local auto parts store, so it can't be anything exotic.

As far as these coops go...the wheels for the chicken tractor version are useless on anything but smooth ground, and the jacks aren't the best design. Ours got stuck in muck and 2 people weren't able to move it. I had to disassemble it, which led to a crack in a side panel and broken teeth where the rear joints the roof. Awful design, if the coop ever must be disassembled, because the force required to remove the roof exceeds strength of the plastic. I've written the company and asked them to consider some design improvements, as the coop is too expensive to be so difficult to deal with. There should be a different way to assemble the roof, and to adhere it to the coop.

The absolute high point of the experience was that, after breaking the retaining teeth (not completely off) about 500 tiny styrofoam insulating beads leaked out and now adorn my side pasture. Not possible to pick them all up.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

Unfortunately I don't know what kind of plastic is used for this coop, which makes choosing the right kind of epoxy a bit difficult. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I'll need to be able to get the epoxy at my local auto parts store, so it can't be anything exotic.
You can get this type of fiberglass repair kit all over. Everyone has a different price. Farm supply stores seem to have the lowest. Walmart carries it as well. I have used this stuff many times in many past years for plastic, and fiberglass repairs. It is strong. Working time is of concern when you mix in the hardener. Read instructions for best results. Watch YouTube videos as well.
Kits include reinforcement fiberglass mats. Those mats can be purchased separately as well.
image_2021-01-31_234705.png

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom