Dark Brown Mystery Chick from Murray Mcmurray

MoSelvidio

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 25, 2013
Lacey, Washington
I told myself I wouldn't go seeking help to identify this chick and just wait til she got older... but I'm dying of curiosity. I ordered an ornamental layer collection from Murray McMurray Hatchery. There is one chick that I just don't know about. I'm sorry if the pictures aren't great, chicks aren't very good at holding still.

She is very, very dark (almost black) brown on her back. A lighter brown on her legs, wings and underbelly. She has a tan spot under her beak. She has dark, clean legs. No ear tufts. No stripes or patterns. Any ideas? Pretty please :).

Update on this chicken. She is now 3 months old, and I still don't know what she is. I'll put a few more pictures up, I hope they're helpful. Sorry if they're a little dark. It's really cloudy out today and my flash isn't fantastic.

I always thought EEs had fluffy cheeks? I have an EE from the same hatchery and her face/neck look completely different. Here she is next to my EE.

Last edited:
That's why Easter eggers aren't ameraucanas, they're nonstandard and don't conform to any set of characteristics. There is an overall "look" to them, and it usually includes muffs and/or a beard. That said, a clean faced ee isn't unheard of, and with the color, leg color, pea comb I'm thinking she's going to give you blue or green eggs.

Yes, she's an Easter Egger. Not all Easter Eggers have fuzzy cheeks, as they are crosses. No Easter Egger will look completely the same as another. Most Easter Eggers share a similar color pattern, comb type, leg color, and body shape, but really, they can look like anything.

Thank you! I had no idea that EEs could have clean faces. I had written her off as a black sex link when her black feathers and red breast started to come in... then her pea comb came in and I was bamboozeld. I will update again as she starts to lay :).

Thanks for the update! I agree, she had the classic black sex link look--good thing she has that pea comb! I love green eggs.

Back
Top Bottom