Darkness

mainely-chick

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 12, 2007
Maine
Have seven week old chicks that have never known darkness since they have been in a brooder with heat lamp - put them in Coop with lamp almost two weeks ago.
I live in New England so it is still cold at night 30-40. For that matter - Really has been much warmer in day!! We had one warm night that I didn't need the lamp. So I shut it off. They went nuts - they slept near the trap door in the run. When I put a light on they came inside - I experimented with light on and off - they had reaction every time. What do I do? Can they see the water and food in the dark?

Our flock forages our acreage and our hen house is a section of the barn. My birds are older, but here is what I did when they first left the brooder for the hen house.

Usually I shut off the barn lights and leave the hen house lights on. This gets all the flock stragglers back to the hen house.

I refill waterers and check that there is feed in the feeders. Ater they have eaten and it is time for bed. I shut off the hen house lights. (If it is still cold at night, I leave some light on for some warmth.)

I put the birds that are still on the floor after lights out onto the roosts. You may need a flashlight so YOU can see what you're doing.
big_smile.png

Most of the birds head for the roosts after a few nights of this routine.

I do leave a small barn light on so they can see their feed and water all night long, as I have noticed that some of the birds go to the roost first and eat after the others have eaten.

I have heard that some people put their hen house lights on a dimmer switch, so the lights gradually dim and this gives the birds enough time to get to the roosts for the evening.

regards,
keljonma

if edited, probably for typos....

Last edited:
The inside of the hen house usually darkens before the outside does, so I think the birds are afraid to go into the unknown. I found mine hunkered down outside the coop door at first too. I keep a night light on also, but even that takes some getting used to if they have had bright lights most of their life.

Back
Top Bottom