Day 1

CrystalOrchard

Hatching
Mar 31, 2016
Hello!

Tonight I found this forum while researching and wow am I glad there's such a great resource right here.

Today is Day 1 of our life with chickens. We brought home 9-day old chicks - 10 Silver Laced Wyandottes and 10 Rhode Island Reds - and 5 one-month old broilers. They were so calm this afternoon and then suddenly a few of the Rhode Islands turned escape artist! I put netting over the brooder so everyone is safely tucked in for the night. After 45 minutes of *singing*, they're all quiet. I cannot explain how excited I am to have started our flock!

I have questions about the broilers: They are ultra mellow - four of them have been eating a bit but the fifth, not yet. They seem lethargic or bored or something, a dramatic contrast to the other 20. Is that common? At how many weeks should we begin pasturing them? We plan to use a tractor-style coop since there are lots of hawks in our area. They're still so little.

Thank you!!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congratulations on your new chicks :celebrate They sure do learn how to escape pretty quick!! I brood in a Guinea cage with cage lid so they can't escape on me but they still are pretty quick when I have it raised!! I. I'm afraid I've never raised broilers but please do pop by the meat section, here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/21/meat-birds-etc

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Hi and welcome to BYC - great to have you onboard with us.

I hope that you enjoy your chicken-keeping adventure and being a member of BYC.

All the best
CT

Thanks so much - I brought their temp up a bit and they've all been chirping and eating! Day 2 begins well :)

Back
Top Bottom