Day 18 humidity change questions

ctcasper

Songster
11 Years
Apr 4, 2008
Minnesota
Okay, I had 24 eggs in the incubator, a Little Giant with a fan and a turner. Today we took them out of the turner, candled them and put them in on the grate thingy. We filled all troughs in the bottom with water and put two baby washcloths in there, one we wet through and the other we put in a place where we could wet it later through the vent hole if needed.
We put both plugs in to begin with but the humidity was close to 70% and we have decided to keep it around 55 to 60% as per the dry incubation method. Both plugs are now out. What is the best way to keep humidity stable??

When we candled the eggs we had two infertile that we took out and four that seemed like the the baby inside looked a little small that we marked but kept in there. I am getting very nervous that we won't have any hatch even though the rest looked developed and had about 1/4 of the eggs at least for the air cell.

Will the time that they were out during transition hurt them? Will the temporary spikes in humidity and decrease in temp? We are having a hard time getting the temp back up, it is only at 96.5 (we have been keeping the incubator temp between 99.5 and 100.5 pretty successfuly this whole time) and we keep turning the knob on the incubator up it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. What is the worst thing we could for these babies to not make it?

Sorry this is so long, just a nervous first timer being overly paranoid I am sure! When should we start to see the first signs of hatching eggs??
Thanks

Last edited:
I would think the temp is due to the water you added being cool. when the water warms up the incubator will be too hot if you turned it up so watch it carfully. If you got the humidity to the higher level that you wanted you will not have to keep it up because it will stay up for a while and as soon as the hatch starts the humidity will go up moire due the moisture in the eggs. good luck. don't worry to much they know what they are doing. you should see pips about a day before they are due.

Last edited:
when i take my turner out on day 18 and i place the eggs back in it takes about two hours for the temp to become stable, and i do not ajust the temp by the knob till i give it a chance to get stable on its on. use caustion to make sure the temp does not go up to high! as for the humidty i use a sponge to bring the humidty up (2 by 3inch). and sounds like you will have fuzzy butts soon. so when they start to hatch just rember that the humidty will go up about 10 to 15% as they pip and zip, i do not like for my humidty to go over 65% at any time. if i can help just pm me and good luck. i will hatch about 300 chicks this month in LG's bators, just had a hatch this past week end of 97 out of 100 eggs set. william

Back
Top Bottom