Day 19 Eggs Hatching Accidentally Opened Bator

Photos of the chicks and the possible parents would really help.

You may want to start a new thread in the "what breed or gender" section of the forum, because this is really a new question, and it is more likely to be seen there by the people who are good at identifying chicks & parents.

Sometimes it will be obvious right after they hatch, sometimes as they grow, and some chicks will always be an unsolved puzzle (depending on what traits the chick has, and what birds are in the flock.)

Thanks, the chicks aren't with me but if I can get some pictures I might do, I was kind of mulling it over in my head on the reply but thank you. Sometimes I feel my questions are stupid which is why I didn't do a new post and just writing out my thoughts if that makes sense.

Sometimes I feel my questions are stupid which is why I didn't do a new post and just writing out my thoughts if that makes sense.
Yes, writing it out does sometimes make it easier to think.
And "which of these birds are the likely parents of these chicks" is a moderately common question :)

4 hatched and one passed. It was just weaker from the start and I think the humidity was not perfect during incubation.

I would like to incubate with the same incubator so need to figure the humidity out

3 chicks are doing really well but we are now wondering if our Marsbar Roo is the father.

There was one white egg from a white hen hatch a bright light yellow chick.
One blue egg from a Araucana that chick is a darker yellow with a fleck of black/grey like mum.
And one brown egg produced a kind of chipmunk chick that could be from an ISA brown, Rhode rock, barred rock, Welsummer and unlikely ones because they are more pink usually a blue orp or lav brahma.

The father options are Marsbar (barred), lemon Cuckoo Orp (barred), Speckled Sussex.

Goodness knows what has hatched! Frustrating because I was hoping to see what the olive egg breed back to brown and blue would turn out and now they may not even have that Roo as the father!

DH is building another run/coop so our hero Roo can stay with his own set of girls. Hero and Charlie have become buddies but know this won't last, some sort of battlefield honor after they both took on a fox and won saving all the girls 💞
Hello, I know this is an older thread but still this year. I use a styrofoam style hatcher for hatching in and find I need to fill all the channels, including the middle one with water 3/4 full each one to make it through the 3 to 6 window hatch window. I also keep a bottle that I can squeeze (there are ones that you can squeeze while they are upright and the water comes out through a narrowing end piece.. and a piece of clear aquarium tubing and a bent, stainless steel straw nearby so that I can top up the channels mid hatch through the hole in the top, if the humidity seems low at the wrong time.

Hello, I know this is an older thread but still this year. I use a styrofoam style hatcher for hatching in and find I need to fill all the channels, including the middle one with water 3/4 full each one to make it through the 3 to 6 window hatch window. I also keep a bottle that I can squeeze (there are ones that you can squeeze while they are upright and the water comes out through a narrowing end piece.. and a piece of clear aquarium tubing and a bent, stainless steel straw nearby so that I can top up the channels mid hatch through the hole in the top, if the humidity seems low at the wrong time.
Hi,

Funnily enough I did a hatch not long after your message I just haven't been around for awhile.

The second hatch we didn't add any water. Started with 18 and lost 4 along the way that didn't develop whatsoever but Marans eggs so was difficult to tell!

Anyway of the 14 that went into lockdown, 13 hatched.

I know this probably isn't the correct way of dry hatching either and we are in South east England so not super naturally high humidity but our house is awfully bad at retaining moisture so I went with it and it worked.

The chicks all hatched unassisted and are 100% healthy.

Hi,

Funnily enough I did a hatch not long after your message I just haven't been around for awhile.

The second hatch we didn't add any water. Started with 18 and lost 4 along the way that didn't develop whatsoever but Marans eggs so was difficult to tell!

Anyway of the 14 that went into lockdown, 13 hatched.

I know this probably isn't the correct way of dry hatching either and we are in South east England so not super naturally high humidity but our house is awfully bad at retaining moisture so I went with it and it worked.

The chicks all hatched unassisted and are 100% healthy.
Hi, I saw your older posts in this thread and saw you had a pic of what looks exactly like the incubator I have. Did you have issues keeping the humidity stable throughout? I am a first time Hatcher and on day 19 today. The directions for filling the channels progressively during incubation made the whole bator steam up with condensation and I had a heck of a time regulating it for the first 10-12 days. I think I figured it out now, but hope there wasn’t irreparable damage 😬

Hi, I saw your older posts in this thread and saw you had a pic of what looks exactly like the incubator I have. Did you have issues keeping the humidity stable throughout? I am a first time Hatcher and on day 19 today. The directions for filling the channels progressively during incubation made the whole bator steam up with condensation and I had a heck of a time regulating it for the first 10-12 days. I think I figured it out now, but hope there wasn’t irreparable damage 😬

Hey 👋🏼

Sorry for the delay, how did the hatch go?

We have been dry hatching since, we don't add water. The one hatch we did with water was a disaster really.

Hey 👋🏼

Sorry for the delay, how did the hatch go?

We have been dry hatching since, we don't add water. The one hatch we did with water was a disaster really.
Hi, the hatch went OK, out of 9 eggs I had 6 live chicks hatch with no probs, 2 late quitters, 1 stuck in egg that had a leg deformity that we ended up culling 😢. incubating eggs was one of the most stressful things I’ve ever done. I did get a full refund for the cheap bator tho, I may try another one some day, but having a broody is way easier! The 6 babies went to my broody hen and they’re all doing great ❤️🐣

Attachments

• 35C6C53B-7423-4356-B6F5-2048C066ABC2.jpeg
    35C6C53B-7423-4356-B6F5-2048C066ABC2.jpeg
    392.7 KB · Views: 0
Hi, the hatch went OK, out of 9 eggs I had 6 live chicks hatch with no probs, 2 late quitters, 1 stuck in egg that had a leg deformity that we ended up culling 😢. incubating eggs was one of the most stressful things I’ve ever done. I did get a full refund for the cheap bator tho, I may try another one some day, but having a broody is way easier! The 6 babies went to my broody hen and they’re all doing great ❤️🐣

Yes, a broody is way less stressful if you have a good one! My first killed her first chick which was a bit traumatic but the rest have been amazing!

Back
Top Bottom