Day 2 of incubating or??

lydiagirl99

Songster
5 Years
May 31, 2016
Michigan (By The Thumb)
Hello ! So right now I'm incubation around 18 eggs. All of which are from my own chickens except 4 of them. 2 silkie eggs and 2 silkie crosses. Well.. I was candling my older eggs and couldn't help but to candle these 4 little guys,too. The silkies, you couldn't see really anything besides maybe the yolk taking different shape but... when I candled the silkie corsses, to my surprise, I could see everything. Spider veins and in one of them, the little embryo . I didn't take pictues of this egg but can if needed. Anyway. These eggs are supposed to be on day 2 today.. but. The lady I got them from has a broody hen. Think maybe she had, had those 2 eggs under there longer than they knew about ? The silkie eggs were in the fridge when I got them but the crosses came from the coop and that same day, I put them into the bator. I took some pictures. I edited them to make it more clear of whats being shown.

pop.gif

I'm new to incubating, on my first run myself, but I'm curious what others will say.... my guess is maybe the eggs are a little further along...

Well, silkie eggs can and do sometimes develop faster. Many experience the bantam breeds hatching a day earlier than their standards, and some don't. My silkie hatch from my shipped eggs at the beggining of the spring, I had 2 that by the end of day two were really developed farther than I expected. Mind you, my incubator does run a bit warm, so my hatches are a couple days early. Usually I see good development day 3 even in my standard eggs. I did wonder if the two that seemed a bit advanced for day 2 had a bit of preincubation before getting shipped, but they developed fine and hatched fine.

This is one of them at day 2

This is generally what I see the first 5 days:

Last edited:
I've sometimes seen development on day 3 in my really light colored eggs, but not day 2. Could be they're developing really fast but I have my suspicions that the broody hen may have sat on them for a day or two. Plus, they're silkie crosses so not full bantam. Thank you very much, though ! I guess as long as they're doing good, that's what matters :)

I've sometimes seen development on day 3 in my really light colored eggs, but not day 2. Could be they're developing really fast but I have my suspicions that the broody hen may have sat on them for a day or two. Plus, they're silkie crosses so not full bantam. Thank you very much, though ! I guess as long as they're doing good, that's what matters :)
That's my take on it...lol I had the same suspicions with mine. I don't know for sure, but they were all small about the same size and those two were excellerated. I rotate my eggs in the bator so that I cut down on any egg sitting in a warm/cool spot for any length of time, so I know it shouldn't have been that possibility.

Back
Top Bottom