Day 2 of prolapse - emergency!

The Welch Chickens

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 18, 2023
Rhode Island
I’m posting this for a friend whose hen has had prolapse yesterday and today. Here is what’s been happening.

Yesterday late afternoon my friend noticed blood on her hen and found it was prolapse. She removed the hen from the flock, cleaned the area by spraying with lots of warm water and vetericyn, then pushed it back in with honey and held her hand on it. It came back out, so she attempted one more time. She ended up giving an Epsom salt bath and repeated the process of pushing the prolapse back in. Tucked her in
for the night; the prolapse was in and she seemed better.

When she went to check on the hen in the morning, the prolapse had come back out. She cleaned the prolapse again.

She just helped the hen lay an egg:
IMG_6556.jpeg

Here’s the hen now:
73731463272__69D5E096-031D-4460-A849-DAD18AC9C3CE.jpeg

What should be done now?

Darn, poor girl.

Calcium plus D3 can help hens retain tissue in the event of prolapse, too. Tell her to give 600mg to her chicken for a few days.

Sometimes the prolapses won’t go back in and stay out for a few days and in that case the tissue must be kept moist using something such as ointment or honey. Honey can also help the tissue not swell so much.

If she were mine I would keep separate from her flock members until the tissues receded and continue to keep clean and moist.

Sometimes the prolapses won’t go back in and stay out for a few days and in that case the tissue must be kept moist using something such as ointment or honey. Honey can also help the tissue not swell so much.
So should my friend keep trying to push the prolapse in, or just keep it moist until it goes in itself?

So should my friend keep trying to push the prolapse in, or just keep it moist until it goes in itself?
If she has already tried a couple of times today and had no luck, I would not keep trying to push it back in. Some people do, but my opinion (from what I’ve read on it, never had to treat a prolapse myself) is that if it is not staying in, then the tissues are too swollen and need to calm down a little first. Eventually things seem to go back into place once they do. Let me see if I can find some better literature than just my opinion, though, I don’t want to lead you and your friend wrong.

Here is another great article by @azygous. It’s about an extreme prolapse but has some great information in it to treat prolapses in general. This is the guidelines I would use if I had a hen to treat for a prolapse.

Edit to add that I’m definitely not saying your friends hen has a stuck egg or anything, as in the article, but just that sometimes prolapses are too swollen to go back in and have to be given a bit of time if they won’t stay in.

If she has already tried a couple of times today and had no luck, I would not keep trying to push it back in. Some people do, but my opinion (from what I’ve read on it, never had to treat a prolapse myself) is that if it is not staying in, then the tissues are too swollen and need to calm down a little first. Eventually things seem to go back into place once they do. Let me see if I can find some better literature than just my opinion, though, I don’t want to lead you and your friend wrong.
Here is another great article by @azygous. It’s about an extreme prolapse but has some great information in it to treat prolapses in general. This is the guidelines I would use if I had a hen to treat for a prolapse.

Edit to add that I’m definitely not saying your friends hen has a stuck egg or anything, as in the article, but just that sometimes prolapses are too swollen to go back in and have to be given a bit of time if they won’t stay in.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom