Day 20

My pigeon pair have been sitting for 19-20 days and I'm starting to lose hope. I know the single egg was laid on April 1st. Should I be worried?

Hello LyonFuzz, do you know if the eggs are fertilzed? If you haven't already, candle the eggs & you will be able to see the chick(c) inside the egg. Here's a link on candling eggs:

My pigeon pair have been sitting for 19-20 days and I'm starting to lose hope. I know the single egg was laid on April 1st. Should I be worried?

Hello LyonFuzz, do you know if the eggs are fertilzed? If you haven't already, candle the eggs & you will be able to see the chick(c) inside the egg. Here's a link on candling eggs:

Thank you for your response. This is our first experience with this as these pigeons were found on the freeway and we rescued them. We have seen them "kissing" and clearly "getting it on" ;) So I am assuming it's fertile. They are doing everything a male and female should be doing from what I've read about their behaviours on this forum. Taking turns on the nest, him dancing for her, etc. Is it out of the ordinary for the egg to incubate more than 19 days?

My pigeon pair have been sitting for 19-20 days and I'm starting to lose hope. I know the single egg was laid on April 1st. Should I be worried? I have had them hatch as late as 23 days. Candle them then you will know for sure.
We have seen them "kissing" and clearly "getting it on" ;) I am assuming it's fertile. You could be right. Keep this in mind same sex pairs happen ask any pigeon fancier.

Last edited:

That's encouraging
1f340.png
I'll continue to let them sit then. I'm afraid to upset them by taking the egg.

That's encouraging
1f340.png
I'll continue to let them sit then. I'm afraid to upset them by taking the egg.
You will get a few wing slaps if you pick up and egg (only take one at a time if you decide). If you candle the inside should appear very dark with an air space. In a perfect world there may be a small crack in the shell with the pigeon making it's way out. It usually takes about 36 hours for them to free themselves.

Back
Top Bottom