Day 21 and my chicken eggs will not hatch what should I do?

JLC03

Hatching
Feb 13, 2016
Hi, it is day 21 of incubation and my 8 chicken eggs are still not showing any signs of hatching? They are not pipping, making any noise, or moving. I candled the eggs before lock down and everything seemed fine every baby chicken was moving inside their eggs, but now they are just not hatching.

I know that if the tempature goes down they can take a little longer to hatch, but the temperature in my still air incubator has done a pretty good job of staying at the right temperature. Right know the temperature is at 99.5 degrees and the humity is at 71%, so I am not sure why they are not hatching?

I am really worried, and what to know why they are not hatching, or if I did anything wrong during incubation? So please comment back with some answers.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! 21 days is just a guide, there is nothing set in stone when it comes to hatching. Did you count the day you set the eggs as day 1 or after a full 24 hours of incubation? If you counted the day you set as day 1 you may only be on day 20. Also have you have had the temp at 99.5F for the whole of the incubation? That's a little low for a still air incubator. Still air needs to be 101-102F measured at the top of the eggs.

Have a read of this article ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Good luck, I hope you have some action soon :fl

I had one hatch under a broody hen on day 25. Sure she did everything right but the little beggar still hatched when she felt like it :)

Just remember it's more a guideline than a rule

Last edited:
Hi, it is day 21 of incubation and my 8 chicken eggs are still not showing any signs of hatching? They are not pipping, making any noise, or moving. I candled the eggs before lock down and everything seemed fine every baby chicken was moving inside their eggs, but now they are just not hatching.

I know that if the tempature goes down they can take a little longer to hatch, but the temperature in my still air incubator has done a pretty good job of staying at the right temperature. Right know the temperature is at 99.5 degrees and the humity is at 71%, so I am not sure why they are not hatching?

I am really worried, and what to know why they are not hatching, or if I did anything wrong during incubation? So please comment back with some answers.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock! I see that you have gotten some great advice and a link so I'm just going to say hi.

Please be patient, it is not written in stone that they MUST hatch on day 21. You may want to check out some of the hatching threads while you are waiting for action.
welcome-byc.gif

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. I hope you eggs hatched beautifully. :fl

Back
Top Bottom