Day 21 and no chicks :(

Emchick160

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 3, 2014
My very first hatch, was going very well... We hatched 4 quails on day 16, one chick hatched over 24 hours ago, would have been day 19 that we saw it pip, and now its been over 24 hours since that. We saw one egg rocking last night, about 12 hours ago but nothing since.
We have had real trouble with humidity and have tried everything we have read on this forum to get the humidity above 40%. The first day of lockdown, day 18 was perfect at 60%, filled the trays etc. Later that night my husband saw the water had gone down as had the humidity, so he topped it back up to where we had filled it previously and it has never been the same since!!
I fear its to late for these cicks and am so disappointed and sad... We were all looking forward to chicks.
Is there anything we can do to try and salvage these babies.....
Thanks in advance

yes we now have 5 chicks in total. 3 roosters and two hens... Vey happy that it hasnt been a total loss, although its still hard to see so many eggs not showing any signs of hatching. I will still give them another couple of days though, just to be sure. This humidity thing has really got to me!! Why wont it increase and stay where it should be!! Grrr!
Congrats on the 5. It is hard. I had 15 on my first attempt that had to be tossed and it was hard.

Most of mine hatched late Sunday night at day 21. Nothing yesterday, then this morning I figured the rest of the eggs that were left, were dead. I was getting ready to do eggtopsies and clean the bator then noticed 4 of them had pipped!! So, speaking from experience I would say give it a little more time. Have you tried candling them to look for internal pips or movement?

Im going to give them a few more days just to be sure. I tried to candle a couple last night very carefully, but couldnt see any movement... Figured that might be because they were to big to move around to much.
Im postive its to do with the lack of humidity, Its a brand new bator, and an indepandant hydgo and temp. I have no ides how to calibrate it either, should have mentioned its a 42 egg janoel model. Such a shame to come this far, devastated :(

Quote:
It is pretty devastating to loose your hatch. My first hatch was a bust. 17 went into lockdown moving and only one hatched and survived. (Bad thermometer.) 2nd hatch was 13/16 so much better. At lock down I added three wet sponges and then just pulled them out quickly to rehydrate them when needed. Kept the humidity up well. I would definitely give them a couple extra days. You could still get some.

Yes definitely don't give up yet!
I had rocking and cheeping at day 21, yet no one actually emerged until day 24 & 25.
All caused by low temp & humidity.
Hang in there, don't give up just yet!

Thanks guys, I have one chick pipping as we speak!!! Eeekkkkk!! Will keep you updated as the day progresses :)

Thanks guys, I have one chick pipping as we speak!!! Eeekkkkk!! Will keep you updated as the day progresses
smile.png
Yay!!!!

Back
Top Bottom