Day 21 and only 1 pip and now nothing. What should I do?

how did the hatch go? at 2 days after I put a pin hole in the air end of the egg sometimes to make sure they have enough air to survive till they can have strength to live. Hope your others did well.

So far 3 chicks and 4 eggs in the incubator that haven't pipped yet. I think I will candle them tonight to see what's going on! I hope they are still good eggs. I'm hoping they are still alive. All but one looked good at day 17 before lock down began. I just hate to wait and see though. I would be really happy if they would just come on out!!!!

Egghead Jr, thanks for the tip on older eggs taking a bit longer to hatch. Your comment is making me feel a tad better; I'm hoping that the eggs I have in the incubator (on day 21 or 22ish) are taking their time because I "collected them" on the kitchen counter for 10 days before putting them in the 'bator. The waiting is KILLING me... I see nuthin' yet.

I did collect the eggs over about a 5 or 7 day period. Maybe that's why some are taking longer than others. I did put one in on day two too! I had one more and didn't want to waste it so popped it in with the others! I'll keep you updated on what happens. I'm going to be patient, I'm gong to be patient, I'm going to be patient!!!

As long as they haven't externally pipped it will be fine to candle--you won't shrink-wrap them. I'd take a look at all of them now to see if there's any movement or internal pips. Just remember that the chicks need a buildup of carbon dioxide in the egg in order to start the convulsions that allow them to pip and zip the egg. So don't worry about them not having enough air... that's what they need in order to hatch! Glad the little one seems to be doing better. I don't know about the vent problem but the rest of it just sounds like unabsorbed yolk.

I'm going to candle when its dark enough. Still no more pips. Its disappointing but I have 41 more eggs waiting to go into the incubator. Hopefully those will hatch out well. I don't want to kill the remaining chicks if they are alive though. I'll update after I candle. I did pick them up yesterday when removing the hatched out chicks and I didn't feel any movement or hear any chirping. They may be duds after all which is what I want to find out because I don't want a rotten egg exploding in my incubator! They smell horrible and are hard to clean up!

I candled the four eggs left that haven't hatched. Three look like they are alive and one is not. It only had about development in half of the egg and is sloshed around when I moved the egg. I took that one out. So now the three remaining eggs are in the incubator and I'm just gonna wait it out since I collected the eggs over a one week period. I didn't think that mattered since I started incubating at the same time (almost!). I guess it does matter! I learn something new with every hatch!! Now that I've looked inside the eggs I'm feeling a little more hopeful about getting three more chicks. Waiting is really hard though. I hope they hatch over the weekend. I didn't get to see any of the first three hatching! I want to see at least one hatch out!

Back
Top Bottom