Day 21 - first hatching & worried!

The #3 chick is still ailing. I think it is fine other than its legs do not work - he will not stand up. Is there anything that can be done or should I feed it to the snake? Husband wants to end its suffering.

I am new to all this hatching stuff. But it is day 24 here and I pitched the remaining 7 eggs (I candled and floated and nothing). The incubator was starting to smell bad.

Oh, and I forgot to ask - if you cannot move them at all after Day 18, then why is it safe for the other chicks to knock them around? Does a brooding hen keep them still later into incubation? Do other people leave their eggs in the turner at level position? I have read this somewhere, but I was concerned that the hatched chicks would get tangled up in the turner. Sorry for all the questions, just very curious!
The reason for not moving them, I think, has more to do with keeping the humidity up in the coop more so than the moving itself. I would not leave eggs in the turner as there is a chance of them getting stuck in the gaps between the racks. You were right to take them out of the turner.

The #3 chick is still ailing. I think it is fine other than its legs do not work - he will not stand up. Is there anything that can be done or should I feed it to the snake? Husband wants to end its suffering.
If its legs don't work, I would put the poor thing out of its suffering.

I am new to all this hatching stuff. But it is day 24 here and I pitched the remaining 7 eggs (I candled and floated and nothing). The incubator was starting to smell bad.
Definitely time to get rid of the eggs when the incubator starts to smell bad!

Back
Top Bottom