Day 21... Is this one dead?

coffeeaddict

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2014
Just want to confirm that this baby has died. I haven't seen movement lately. Thoughts?

It did get kicked around once on Day 19 before I could move it to safety. Trying to work up the courage for an eggtopsy.
IMG_1250 2.JPG IMG_1249 2.JPG IMG_1251 2.JPG IMG_1252 2.JPG

I think it died a while ago, I'm sorry.
I opened it. It was a beautiful fully developed dead chick. 😭 There was a dark red/yellow mass with it so I think a Day 14/15 death is exactly right. No idea why it died. Wish I knew because it was so close. Looked like it was in the right position and everything.

Last edited:
I opened it. It was a beautiful fully developed dead chick. 😭 There was a dark red/yellow mass with it. No idea why it died. Wish I knew because it was so close. Looked like it was in the right position and everything.
The mass may have been the yolk?
Some chicks just don't make it, most likely nothing you did, or could have done.

The mass may have been the yolk?
Some chicks just don't make it, most likely nothing you did, or could have done.
Thank you. Yes, I think it was the yolk and intestines maybe. It’s heartbreaking. I could never incubate on a regular/full time basis. I’d be a mess even knowing hatch rates cannot realistically always be at 100 percent.🤦🏻‍♀️😅 Going to clean out the bator for storage. That was our last egg for the season.

Back
Top Bottom