Day 21 & no chicks yet

adeleroy8

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 17, 2014
Waxhaw, NC
Started raising chickens this past summer. One of my Red sex link hens went broody so I decided to buy some fertilized Ameraucana eggs & let her do her thing! It's day 21 and no chicks yet. Could there be something wrong or am I too impatient? What should I do? Thank you!! :/

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

There is always the possibility that the eggs weren't fertile or died somewhere in the incubation. However, I wouldn't assume the worst yet. Egg development varies, with some eggs hatching early, or late. Don't give up hope of a hatch until at least day 24.

Welcome to BYC.
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our community!

Don't worry, sometimes chicks take longer than 21 days to hatch. I'd give them a few more days at least.

Well...its day 23...still no chicks...I'm bummed...and I really feel sorry for the hen that's been laying for so long....what do I do now? How do I break her bloodiness at this point? :(

Were they shipped eggs? I've heard they can get "scrambled" in the shipment process and cause them to go bad. I'd still give it one more day unless like @drumstick diva posted, they are smelling or leaking. Candle them before you decide to discard them. They could just be late hatchers.

Back
Top Bottom