Day 23 and no movement

DanikaNevin

Hatching
Apr 15, 2017
I had two hatch on day 20. Since then I have had no movement or anything from the rest. I can't really see in them. I did the water test. Where if they sink or float and according to that they are viable however they are supposed to move. And none of mine did. There isn't any movement or chirps. Should I call it? Also is there such thing as too much humidity at the end? I have a still air incubator.

I had two hatch on day 20. Since then I have had no movement or anything from the rest. I can't really see in them. I did the water test. Where if they sink or float and according to that they are viable however they are supposed to move. And none of mine did. There isn't any movement or chirps. Should I call it? Also is there such thing as too much humidity at the end? I have a still air incubator.

Yes, I would call it. Normally anything that is going to hatch does so within 48 hours after the first one, with exceptions, of course.
High humidity after lockdown doesn't compromise a hatch unless it's too low and dryness dries out the membranes of pipping/zipping chicks. Too high humidity during the first 17 days, that does not allow for proper moisture loss can and will compromise chicks at hatch time.
What was your humidity over the first 17 days?

It was around 45-55 percent humidity. I did call it. I cracked them all open and I don't know why they didn't hatch. They were full chicks. But they weren't alive. I did get another batch in the incubator today. I ended up with two out of this batch. My first two ever and this was my sixth attempt. I discovered my temp was off. That's why the other attempts were unsuccessful. Any pointers are much appreciated. I want to be more successful.

It was around 45-55 percent humidity. I did call it. I cracked them all open and I don't know why they didn't hatch. They were full chicks. But they weren't alive. I did get another batch in the incubator today. I ended up with two out of this batch. My first two ever and this was my sixth attempt. I discovered my temp was off. That's why the other attempts were unsuccessful. Any pointers are much appreciated. I want to be more successful.

Ok, 45-55 is a bit high over the first 17 days if you're not in a high elevation. Fully formed chicks not hatching is usually a sign of humidity issues. I'm going to give you a humidity link to look at, I think it will help you in that department. I use this method and swear by it. I aim for 30% the first 17 days.
http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

I'm going to throw up one more that is an overall hatching guide from a hands on perspective
http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Hope these help and you have to keep us updated with this hatch. Good luck.

Oh thank you so much. That makes total sense. I will candle at day 7 and keep humidity around 30 percent. Everything I read said higher. I live in Northern North Dakota. So it's not dry here however we still have to run the furnace due to feeezing nights.

Oh thank you so much. That makes total sense. I will candle at day 7 and keep humidity around 30 percent. Everything I read said higher. I live in Northern North Dakota. So it's not dry here however we still have to run the furnace due to feeezing nights.

Most recommendations give high humidity that a good share of people find counterproductive to good hatches. Some people can have decent hatches at higher humidity, and that's great, but for those who run higher and have many fully formed chicks dying at hatch, usually, dropping the humidity and monitoring air cells is what helps.

I loaded my incubator Sunday to Monday with eggs. And the humidity has been between 35-40 so far. I haven't had to add any water. Is this normal? I was thinking it was do to being the first few days and being full. I have never had it full before.

I loaded my incubator Sunday to Monday with eggs. And the humidity has been between 35-40 so far. I haven't had to add any water. Is this normal? I was thinking it was do to being the first few days and being full. I have never had it full before.

During late spring/summer I can normally run dry and stay 30-35% sometimes higher if we've had a lot of rain and our outside humidity is high.
If you're hygrometer hasn't been checked for accuracy, it could be off. If your room humidity is low and the bator is significantly higher without water, it's a good chance it's off.

I have one that I bight to put in there it's a temp and humidity one. The one on the machine and what it says are close to the same. We live in a humid area. My temp on the machine isn't accurate. That's why I failed all the other times. It was actually readying 100 and when I bought a new thermometer it was really 104.

I have one that I bight to put in there it's a temp and humidity one. The one on the machine and what it says are close to the same. We live in a humid area. My temp on the machine isn't accurate. That's why I failed all the other times. It was actually readying 100 and when I bought a new thermometer it was really 104.

That will do it...
If you're in a humid area then yes, it'd be perfectly normal to see that amount of humidity running dry

Back
Top Bottom