DAY 23 No Chicks? Candle or???

No, I didn't open the shell on the one I know is currently alive
You said you can hear pecking. Do you mean it is touching the shell inside? Any cheeping? Is that the one you said you can't see an air cell? If so that is because the chick has broken through the internal membranes into the air cell (internally pipped) and is now working on breaking through the outer shell (external pipping).

You said you can hear pecking. Do you mean it is touching the shell inside? Any cheeping? Is that the one you said you can't see an air cell? If so that is because the chick has broken through the internal membranes into the air cell (internally pipped) and is now working on breaking through the outer shell (external pipping).
I didn't hear it chirp but felt/heard , yes , this is the one I couldn't see anything

I would leave them I've had chicks hatch on day 24 and 25 just wait it out. If the temp was down at all during incubation it can delay hatch so just wait I'm sure you will be fine.:hugs

Do opinions, on the one I know is alive should I leave it alone?

You will get different answers from different people, but I'd be opening it at this point. I've had too many times where I thought waiting just a little longer and giving it some more time would be okay, and then they die. If you just make a small hole to make sure it is okay, that would be fine.

Go with your gut. Whatever you decide, I hope it turns out well!

Personally, I would very carefully make a tiny hole over the air cell end just so the chick can breathe fresh air. Then leave it around 12 hours. It it is exactly the same after 12 hours, I would start peeling open the shell from the fat end of the egg to see what's going on.

What happened? Not being able to see the air cell has two possible explanations, as far as I can see. The first is that the chick has broken through the internal membrane and is now filling the air cell. The other possibility is that the egg has some kind of defect or has been damaged in some way, but if you candles earlier in incubation and saw an air cell this is not likely. So I would say the chick is in there trying to get out!

If you havent already done it, this is how i would make the hole. Candle again to try to locate a less dark spot on the fat end of the egg. Then try using a sharp pointed tool (like one side of a thin pair of scissors) to scratch lightly in one spot, twisting the point into the scratch a bit until it looks chalky and then the outer membrnae is exposed. Then pinch that out with tweezers to make a hole.

Back
Top Bottom