Day 23 with broody

Did you check the old nest? It is a little odd but not unheard of.
And a couple days late past hatch day is completely normal with temp/humidity changes.

Candling would be your best advise to see if any are still active, but again a hen instinctively knows when to get up and take her babies out.

Did you check the old nest? It is a little odd but not unheard of.
And a couple days late past hatch day is completely normal with temp/humidity changes.

Candling would be your best advise to see if any are still active, but again a hen instinctively knows when to get up and take her babies out.
Yes, the old nest is empty. She literally just moved about 10 inches to the right.

Yes, the old nest is empty. She literally just moved about 10 inches to the right.
Sorry I didn't clarify. I meant check for anything off. Mites/bugs? Mouse nest? Excess poo? Something that would explain the move... Is both nests in the open or a nest box?
Maybe no explanation at all, just curiosity. Hope the other 2 hatch for you. 🙂

Moving the remaining eggs also?
Op states 1 hatched. Broody moved but took 2 eggs with her. Seems odd to me....
Yes, almost every single broody I've had has moved spots after some of the chicks have hatched. I'm not sure if it's because the chicks started moving around and she tried to cover them or something else.

Yes, almost every single broody I've had has moved spots after some of the chicks have hatched. I'm not sure if it's because the chicks started moving around and she tried to cover them or something else.
🤔 Always learning something new. Thanks.
Mine haven't done this and while I was sure it wasn't unheard of or rare just seemed odd. But apparently not....🙂👍

I checked on them not long ago and she was back in the original spot with eggs and chick under her. Picked up an egg to candle but no need! It had a small hole and I could hear and feel the chick working away the shell. I put it back, pip hole up. 🤞

I checked on them not long ago and she was back in the original spot with eggs and chick under her. Picked up an egg to candle but no need! It had a small hole and I could hear and feel the chick working away the shell. I put it back, pip hole up. 🤞
That's awesome news... 🤞🥳

Pics would surely be great also !!

IMG_9958.jpeg

I left them alone until this morning - that chick hatched! Definitely 2 chicks under there but they were understandably shifting to stay hidden under mama. One egg left! No signs of a pip, didn’t hear or feel movement like I did yesterday’s egg. I did candle it and it was completely dark except for the air bubble… hoping that’s a good sign?

Back
Top Bottom