Day 24 of incubation - air cells small. What do i do?

BeckyJaneDesigns

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 26, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
I choose to incubate at a time when I was busier than I should. I have kept an eye on temps, and have candled and have seen lots of movement. But, I just didn't think to pay close enough attention to the humidity. It must have been a bit high because I am realizing that hatch day is coming and the air cell just does not look as big as it should. What do I do?? I know we are supposed to raise humidity for the last 3 days, but since the cell is small, should I do that? I think it is 60% in there right now.
Also, how do I position them? They have been in an egg turner since the start, but I was going to take that out and just lay them on the bottom for the last 3 days. Should I do that?? Please help!

Not sure how to help you with your air sack issue because I think the damage is already done. When you got to hatch you can just take the turner out and lay them level on the bottom of the incubator. You could also hatch in an egg carton if you want to. This helps keep the chicks from playing soccer with the un-hatched eggs.

Yeah, i agree, nothing you can do about the air sack now, but just do as normal. I think they should still be ok, might just be a little more difficult to hatch out. I had a couple anconas hatch a week ago that for some reason didn't come out at the large end where the air sac was..i noticed they started breaking the shell on the side down by the small end, which i hadn't had happen..but i just kept checking on them and they labored more than normal hatches but came out just fine..and i think that was caused from the humidity factor as well..because i too was busier than i should have been (and probably candled them way too often this time since i was impatient and i had several different hatch dates in the batches so i had to watch...note to self...don't do that !) Good luck..i think they'll be fine..especially if you can see them wiggling around.

Thank you for your help!! I will be putting them into an egg carton today to head into lockdown. Humidity is at about 65%, should I try to raise it like you would at hatch time, or just leave it? Thank you!!

I have read on this forum that if the air cells are large you should not raise the humidity. They said adding more humidity would just drown them.

if you haven't checked for a couple days..i'd candle them. I try not to, but if i don't see anything happening I usually check and then close it right back up..i've never lost any from doing that..but it let me know if things were ok in there or not.

Back
Top Bottom