Day 25

Creteloc

Songster
5 Years
Sep 29, 2017
Northern Utah
It's been forever since I've posted because things have been going so smoothly for years! Now though I have a delimma.

I'm on day 25 of incubating chick eggs. I started with 17 eggs. Six hatched on day 22. On day 23, I float tested and only six eggs were still "viable". I tossed the bad eggs.

It's now day 25 and the float test on these six eggs still shows they are viable. They float with just the air sack above water. There's no chirping. There's no movement. But the float test....

I've hatched a lot of batches of chicks and this is my worst percentage yet, although nothing changed. It could have been a problem with shipping. I don't want to get rid of eggs if they are still alive. I have ten more local federalized eggs coming tomorrow.

Is it too late for those six? Maybe the float test is faulty?

Pull those eggs out. If they were all the same breed then they would have hatched at the same relative time. Three days later with nothing hatching has no hope.

Unless you count days incorrectly, oddly some start incubation on day one, then your temperature is a tad low. The birds should have hatched day 21. Bump up your temperature half a degree for this next hatch. To increase hatch of shipped eggs it's a good idea to rest them at room temperature fat end up for a day before putting them in the incubator.

Thanks for the tips. They were left out of the incubator for 24 hours after shipping. They were kept at 38⁰ until lock down. They aren't the same breeds but I have a feeling these little guys didn't make it.

The float test is to check for movement, not just the air cell. With the egg and jar of water perfectly still, bend over until your eyes are level with the top of the jar or water (should be filled near the top). Now..... watch for any ripples or vibration in the water. THAT is movement in the egg and it would still be alive. (Barring, of course, any vibration in the table or countertop the jar is sitting on.) No ripples at this late stage means goodbye little chicky. So sorry.

I wouldn't even recommend an eggtopsy or safety hole at this point, unless you take it outside and are fully suited up with full face mask and tyvek suit with hood and gloves. Don't ask me how I know.

The float test is to check for movement, not just the air cell. With the egg and jar of water perfectly still, bend over until your eyes are level with the top of the jar or water (should be filled near the top). Now..... watch for any ripples or vibration in the water. THAT is movement in the egg and it would still be alive. (Barring, of course, any vibration in the table or countertop the jar is sitting on.) No ripples at this late stage means goodbye little chicky. So sorry.

I wouldn't even recommend an eggtopsy or safety hole at this point, unless you take it outside and are fully suited up with full face mask and tyvek suit with hood and gloves. Don't ask me how I know.
I think I'll just take your word for it!

Pull those eggs out. If they were all the same breed then they would have hatched at the same relative time. Three days later with nothing hatching has no hope.

Unless you count days incorrectly, oddly some start incubation on day one, then your temperature is a tad low. The birds should have hatched day 21. Bump up your temperature half a degree for this next hatch. To increase hatch of shipped eggs it's a good idea to rest them at room temperature fat end up for a day before putting them in the incubator.
I'm also at day 25, I have small chicken eggs, not sure what you call them in English. White and black spots. So I had both in there and the first small egg hatched at dat 19. Day 20, 4 normal chicken eggs hatched and at day 21 the last 4 gatched. After candling I still have 2 small eggs in the incubator. On day 23 I thought they would not come out again and broke open 1 that had not fully developed but was still alive. I killed it by opening it as they have not yet absorbed the yolk completely. So I left the last 2 in there and now on day 25 and this morning both have pipped and peeping only the shell and not the membrane. This afternoon no progress so I helped slightly as the I knew from opening the others that the shell and membrane was very hard en tough. When it was half way open, he was still weak and peeped lessand did not make abt energy to come out by himself. So I put him back into the incubator and tomorrow is day 26 and I am not sure what I will find. The other one that pipped I left just like that...nlt sure if he will survie...or even the other one.

I'm also at day 25, I have small chicken eggs, not sure what you call them in English. White and black spots. So I had both in there and the first small egg hatched at dat 19. Day 20, 4 normal chicken eggs hatched and at day 21 the last 4 gatched. After candling I still have 2 small eggs in the incubator. On day 23 I thought they would not come out again and broke open 1 that had not fully developed but was still alive. I killed it by opening it as they have not yet absorbed the yolk completely. So I left the last 2 in there and now on day 25 and this morning both have pipped and peeping only the shell and not the membrane. This afternoon no progress so I helped slightly as the I knew from opening the others that the shell and membrane was very hard en tough. When it was half way open, he was still weak and peeped lessand did not make abt energy to come out by himself. So I put him back into the incubator and tomorrow is day 26 and I am not sure what I will find. The other one that pipped I left just like that...nlt sure if he will survie...or even the other one.
I believe I have just opened two eggs too soon as well. I had reason to suspect non-living eggs but I am pretty destroyed as this is my first time hatching chicks at my house. And the mama hen is doing it! I just didn't know they could both sink and take so long and still be viable. 💔 Living and learning I guess. 😞

I'm sorry for your losses, and also thankful you chose to share as I am looking to learn as much as I can after my mistake.

I believe I have just opened two eggs too soon as well. I had reason to suspect non-living eggs but I am pretty destroyed as this is my first time hatching chicks at my house. And the mama hen is doing it! I just didn't know they could both sink and take so long and still be viable. 💔 Living and learning I guess. 😞

I'm sorry for your losses, and also thankful you chose to share as I am looking to learn as much as I can after my mistake.
Don't beat yourself up over it, many of us have done the same thing at first. It's just so hard to wait and not peek inside. I'm curious, though - what do you mean by "they could both sink"?

Heck, the very first time I opened an egg to 'check' why it hadn't hatched yet, it exploded in my face. Oh yes it did. 🤮

O
Don't beat yourself up over it, many of us have done the same thing at first. It's just so hard to wait and not peek inside. I'm curious, though - what do you mean by "they could both sink"?

Heck, the very first time I opened an egg to 'check' why it hadn't hatched yet, it exploded in my face. Oh yes it did. 🤮
Oh dear 😅 well I'm sorry for the egg explosion!! That's what I was concerned would happen in my hen's nest if I didn't remove non-viable eggs but I wish I'd given them a couple more days. I did the float test, which I have since learned is unreliable, but two eggs sunk, no floating, and when I opened them at 22 days there was no apparent sign of life, but both chicks looked fully developed but hadn't absorbed their yolk sacks yet. All the parts were there, but they looked still about 2 days from hatch except no movement whatsoever. 🤔 I just wish I hadn't meddled, don't know at what point exactly they died. Live and learn, just no more meddling for me!!

Thank you for your response, I'm trying to forgive myself and move forward. ♥️

Back
Top Bottom