Day 31 is it time to help?

Selgar

Chirping
Mar 20, 2021
I incubated 3 mandarin duck eggs and 2 call duck eggs 31 days, 2 hours and 40 min ago. They have been trying to get out for 2 days has their shells continue to move when I speak to them through their incubator. I just candled them cause I needed to see what was going on. Eggs were shipped so all have saddle air sacks. Two of the eggs clearly have a ton of veins left. They are still trying to hatch internally, but those veins scare me. Any suggestions on these types of ducks? I will look up some research studies on these guys and hope I find more answers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 10
I incubated 3 mandarin duck eggs and 2 call duck eggs 31 days, 2 hours and 40 min ago. They have been trying to get out for 2 days has their shells continue to move when I speak to them through their incubator. I just candled them cause I needed to see what was going on. Eggs were shipped so all have saddle air sacks. Two of the eggs clearly have a ton of veins left. They are still trying to hatch internally, but those veins scare me. Any suggestions on these types of ducks? I will look up some research studies on these guys and hope I find more answers.
Does it look like they've internally pipped when you candle? I just got a bunch of call ducks a couple weeks ago and have been researching them and a lot of what I'm finding is that they may need help if they are more show quality. Meaning their beaks and necks are shorter then the run of the mill call ducks or other ducks in general. But I also read that they take 26 days so they would be way overdue at this point.

Does it look like they've internally pipped when you candle? I just got a bunch of call ducks a couple weeks ago and have been researching them and a lot of what I'm finding is that they may need help if they are more show quality. Meaning their beaks and necks are shorter then the run of the mill call ducks or other ducks in general. But I also read that they take 26 days so they would be way overdue at this point.
Hey there. Yes, I read that call ducks are 26 days and mandarins are 28-30. They were all incubated on May 6th at 5:20PM. I just checked on them and they are still trying to get out. They started over 24 hours ago. Fingers crossed.

if they are chirping inside the shells you can make a safety hole at the wide end (assuming they are the right way around) to make sure they can breathe. (i score an X with a screwdriver and carefully break small hole) i wouldn't try to help them before they stop 'yawning' inside the shell though, since this means they're still absorbing the yolk. if the incubator was a bit cool they can take some days longer to hatch. ducks can take a couple days between starting to hatch and getting out too.

if they are chirping inside the shells you can make a safety hole at the wide end (assuming they are the right way around) to make sure they can breathe. (i score an X with a screwdriver and carefully break small hole) i wouldn't try to help them before they stop 'yawning' inside the shell though, since this means they're still absorbing the yolk. if the incubator was a bit cool they can take some days longer to hatch. ducks can take a couple days between starting to hatch and getting out too.
what exactly does yawning look like, my 4 mandarin eggs have externally pipped about 16 hours ago, when i candle them i can see them moving their beak around but they haven't continued their hatching and its day 31.

Back
Top Bottom