Day old chick hatched and has bad leg or legs HELP

meandsummykai

Chirping
5 Years
May 6, 2014
Southern, Maine
One of my chicks that hatched has a bad leg. This is my first hatch and I'm not sure if it's splay leg or a joint problem. The leg on the right in the pic is bigger- maybe swollen? When it sits that same leg kicks out to the side. It can hardly walk- kind of hobbles. It sometimes ends up on its back and can't flip over. I help it or another chick bumps into it and it rolls back over. Not sure what to do. Please HELP!

One of my chicks that hatched has a bad leg. This is my first hatch and I'm not sure if it's splay leg or a joint problem. The leg on the right in the pic is bigger- maybe swollen? When it sits that same leg kicks out to the side. It can hardly walk- kind of hobbles. It sometimes ends up on its back and can't flip over. I help it or another chick bumps into it and it rolls back over. Not sure what to do. Please HELP!

Low humidity in the incubator or genetic problems can cause that. Sometimes it can be corrected by supplementing water in addition to a good quality starter/grower feed. You want to help the chick's developing structure so B vitamins A,D,E are all very important during this time. Probiotic Chick Boost, Sav-A-Chick are a few water supplements out there formulated for baby chicks. Start the chick on them as soon as you can and the problem may be corrected. Make sure the chick is not on slick surfaces in the brooder, the right temperature, etc.

Back
Top Bottom