Day Old Chick - Urgent Advice Required on Physical Condition

Bates

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 9, 2014
Hedmark, Norway
I've just had the pleasure of incubating chicken eggs for the first time and have hatched four beautiful Vorwerk chicks, which I have already placed in the brooder (all minimum 24 hours old). The first three are energetic and have fluffed out nicely.

The fourth chick to hatch pipped and zipped very quickly, although it was the last to successfully hatch and was trampled on by it's siblings on exiting the shell. I'm not sure if it was disconnected from the shell too quickly as there were traces of a few blood vessels inside the shell and there was a small white/yellow blob left - I'd assume the very last bit of yolk it was absorbing or an infection?

Once the chick was out I noticed it was much smaller and weaker looking than the other chicks that had hatched previously. The down looked a lot thinner and I can see small patches of skin more clearly than on the others. The behaviour was lethargic and it would drag itself and wiggle very occasionally in the corner, where it must've huddled to avoid being disturbed and rest. It's perked up quite a bit since the initial hatch, however it's still very wobbly on it's feet. The down has dried although it still looks very thin - perhaps some sort of residue preventing it from fluffing up?

The chick appeared to have pasty butt, so I cleaned this up with warm water and a soft cloth and as you can probably see in the photo it has since pooped (although not green/black like its siblings, which I assume is the norm). The chick has been isolated from the others, although still in each others view.

More worryingly and the main reason for this thread is the physical condition of the chick. Originally I thought the chick was suffering wry neck/torticollis as it was contorting it's head backwards in what must've been an effort to position itself upright - although now that it is out of the incubator this doesn't seem to be such an issue. I now believe that there is a problem with the chick's left foot (see photo) and it seems to be resting it's weight on the outside rather evenly across the foot, which is perhaps why the chick keeps losing balance. Could this be the beginning of splayed leg or a deformity?

I've just checked the chick in the brooder and its just laying lethargically again - not sure whether it's just resting or preparing for death... I dipped their beak but he/she doesn't seem to have the energy to feed his/herself - is it possible to gently force feed?

Any feedback and advise would be greatly appreciated. Photos as follows:

Brooder (Red Light) Photos are more to represent the size of the sickly chick against the healthy chicks - sorry its not very visible as they're separated.

Last edited:
Anyone?

I've just checked the chick and he/she has started pooping normally like his/her siblings and is sitting next to them against the plastic. Looks like he/she wants to be with them but is physically weaker and I'm worried will get knocked down or bullied. I referred to the Hatching 101 guide and wondered if I should be plastering his/her legs together? Has anyone had experience with this?

I've dipped his/her beak in a homemade electrolyte solution to see if this helps - it was suggested on another thread for weak chicks and also on the Chicken Chick's blog (for dehydrated birds).

Make sure the chick has non-slip flooring if it is having problems keeping it's footing or legs together. Electrolytes would be very good, and dipping the beak is best because force feeding can cause aspiration or choking. Here is a link about splay leg in case your chick has that: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Thanks Egg. I currently have the chicks on puppy training pads so the flooring shouldn't be an issue.

I resorted to taking the chick to the vet for advise, thinking any information would be useful for future hatches, but didn't learn anything new from what I've read on the forums or the information you've provided. The nurses confirmed my inkling that it's suffering from a slipped tendon and tried to put a spleen on it unsuccessfully. The chick became very stressed out and just wanted it off. So after twenty minutes, with no new knowledge and £23 down the drain the chick is no better off. Since coming home I've read more into slipped tendon (perosis) and apparently it must be treated early and within 24 hours. The hock is more inflamed and swollen and I feel like I've let this chick down with my inexperience and inability to provide the special care it needs. I've been dipping it's beak in water and sprinkling chick crumb for it to peck at, but it'll take a crumb and that's it. It hadn't pooped at all today until this evening, and it was very white and watery - unlikely it's siblings more solid and healthy looking poops.

I don't want to throw in the towel so soon but I feel it would be better culled. I don't feel I can provide the proper rehabilitation, especially since I've been so delayed in identifying the problem through inexperience. I think this is the most humane thing I can do for now...

Last edited:
Really, you haven't been so late in discovering the slipped tendon. They are very hard to fix even discovering early and with intensive therapy, so don't beat yourself up about this. You could treat with vitamins for a few days and see how the chick is responding. Culling may be an option because this is not a very easy thing to treat. It can happen with vitamin or mineral deficiency from the parents. Here is some reading: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/220/slipped-tendon-perosis
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/30/chondrodystrophy-slipped-tendon-or-perosis

Back
Top Bottom