Day-old chick with hip/leg issue

Jasonb61

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 22, 2014
I'm still conducting searches but decided to make a post since a lot of the results don't seem to be exactly what I'm looking for but please excuse me if there is an existing post that addresses this issue and I missed it.

Anyway, this is the situation: I just hatched a few eggs from my red sex link in the incubator and one of the chicks is right at 24 hours old and has an issue going on with its left leg/hip. I observed her in the incubator but thought she was only having difficulty due to the grated floor and egg turners. I kept her and the one other hatch locked in the incubator until they were both dried out good. [Just to note, I only had two hatches because I only put in four eggs. I only incubated them because my stupid red laid them in the nest box of one of my broody hens and they were naturally incubated for almost two weeks by her until her clutch hatched. I had already had one other chick hatch and the broody adopted it without issue.]

Anyway, I removed them from the incubator to put in the brooder and immediately noticed something was amiss with one of them. [If it makes a difference, the one with the hip issue is about 20 hours -younger- than the healthy one.] It appears that the hip is pointed slightly outward but most noticeably is the fact that the chick cannot seem to even stand up let alone walk anywhere. She seems to be able to kind of flop and make her way to where she wants a little. The leg in question seems to be positioned outward and straight in front of her. I've moved her legs and hip manually (gently) and didn't see any physical limitation of movement nor did she emit any protests that I could interpret as pain.

I put them into a temporary makeshift brooder in the house because I am certain the other chicks would pick on it due to its issue. The temporary brooder is a 30"L x 12"W x 19"H glass aquarium with a red bulb heat lamp on one end so the chicks can find their comfort area. I laid old shirts on the bottom since they can easily grip them and I pressed them as flat as I could. I placed a shallow dish (jar lid) full of water and a feeder with chick starter in the center of the pen and laid the injured chick nearby after showing it where the water was. I've been keeping an eye on it for a couple hours and have helped move it around if I see it panting or something.

Anyway, I have several questions and concerns and I know this is a very knowledgeable forum so I have no doubt someone here will be able to help.

First and foremost, any idea on the name of this leg condition I described? Is it treatable? Was it caused by something I could have prevented?
I'm not completely familiar with chick injuries or illnesses as I've been very fortunate to have had zero health problems in the year and a half I've kept chickens; but is this a case of splayed leg? Over the brief searching I did, one page mentioned that some deformation can be caused by vitamin deficiency and that if given a supplement before too old, it can help. So the girlfriend is out picking up some sav-a-chick vitamin supplement from tractor supply but I'm open for other suggestions as this is the best I could do on a Sunday evening.

Secondly, what would be a better floor covering for them considering an already-existing problem? I chose old cloth because I felt certain there would be no slipping.

Also, I placed the injured chick and it's incubator mate together because I just wasn't sure what to do. I feel like social interaction and having a little companionship/company helps with recovery but now I'm thinking it doesn't apply in this situation as I've witnessed the healthy chick step on the other (not out of malice, I'm sure). However, the injured chick had a red spot (light blood) on its beak that looked like the other had possibly picked at it but I don't know for certain. I haven't witnessed any direct bullying in the few hours I've been watching but plenty of him stepping on the other. I also wanted to keep them together (if possible) for extra body warmth if the injured chick cannot move closer to the bulb; but this may be me over-thinking things way too much. I could put a divider between the two if needed.

Anyway, please send all of your opinions, suggestions, experiences, etc. that I can use.

(Sorry for the long-winded post but trying to provide as much relevant information as possible)

Thanks!
-Jason

Last edited:

Sorry for making multiple posts for each image but I kept running into problems trying to post to a single reply.

Any ideas? Once I think I know, I second-guess myself. She can move it and seems to have proportional strength but her "hip" goes out to the side a little. However, I can move it where it needs to go without resistance but it won't stay. If her legs are stretched downward from her body (holding her in the air) then it looks normal.

Dislocated? Slipped tendon? Rotated femur? Not sure if it will help but going to make a "chick chair" for her tomorrow.

Any ideas? Once I think I know, I second-guess myself. She can move it and seems to have proportional strength but her "hip" goes out to the side a little. However, I can move it where it needs to go without resistance but it won't stay. If her legs are stretched downward from her body (holding her in the air) then it looks normal.

Dislocated? Slipped tendon? Rotated femur? Not sure if it will help but going to make a "chick chair" for her tomorrow.

Maybe it's a deformity or it injured itself coming out from it's shell somehow. Only an x-ray could tell. Just make sure it is eating and drinking, maybe it will get better, time is the answer when there are no answers. It needs contact with other chicks to be mentally healthy. Wouldn't want another chick harming it more, by jumping on it or anything though. So maybe have a enclosed space for it to sit by the others, or a visitation time. I wouldn't handle it either, unless it was necessary to get it to the food/water. No telling what is wrong with it, its obviously already very fragile. Looks like something is out of place, but i don't think it will die at all, as long as it can get food and water. I would not try to put anything back into place either, could seriously make whatever it is much worse and even fatal. So just give it time, and maybe an x ray one day if possible.

Last edited:
Thanks. I've read numerous threads and articles about treating leg issues with chicks and most of what I have read states that these issues need to be addressed right away.

She scoots and flops everywhere she needs to go, mostly. She can stand and has strength but it seems she is literally tripping over her own feet. I'd like to help her but I'm not sure what issue this is to even attempt help.

Thanks. I've read numerous threads and articles about treating leg issues with chicks and most of what I have read states that these issues need to be addressed right away.

She scoots and flops everywhere she needs to go, mostly. She can stand and has strength but it seems she is literally tripping over her own feet. I'd like to help her but I'm not sure what issue this is to even attempt help.

Exactly, cant fix an issue when you don't know what it is. She seems to be doing well considering her issue. It could simply be out of place, and need to be put back. You can try to put it back, it might do the trick, i would be to afraid to try it, i am a very cautious person. It is really up to you, are you ok with giving it a try? Worst case scenario is it gets worse, and she possibly ends up dying from not being to get around at all. It could be the fix though. It is a hard choice, & i have nothing.

I am currently dealing with this exact issue. What needed up happening? Idk what to do. Almost seems like the top of her leg near her body is the wrong way

Back
Top Bottom