Day-old Chick with Injured (Broken?) Ankle

SageFay

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2023
Chick hatched this morning under a broody hen. We found it out from under her and as we went to pick it up to look the hen pecked at it aggressively again. At first all we saw was a small wound in its back so we brought it into the brooder and treated that. Then we noticed bruising on the left foot and she was holding it out a little bit.

Any idea whether this is broken or not? The worst of it looks to be around the ankle and I can’t find info on how to split it there. I just made her a chick cup which she hates but the leg is now elevated.

Help please I feel so bad that this perfect chick is hurt. :(

Attachments

• IMG_5509.jpeg
    IMG_5509.jpeg
    326.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5510.jpeg
    IMG_5510.jpeg
    301.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5512.jpeg
    IMG_5512.jpeg
    353.2 KB · Views: 8
Welcome To BYC

Poor little thing.
Your Chick Chair looks good!

Is the joint swelling and turning purple too?
I'd see the leg looks in the morning, hopefully the swelling will be stabilized by then and you'll be able to better access the injury. If you wrap now and the leg is still swelling, you risk the wrappings becoming to tight.

Is she the only chick that hatched?

Welcome To BYC

Poor little thing.
Your Chick Chair looks good!

Is the joint swelling and turning purple too?
I'd see the leg looks in the morning, hopefully the swelling will be stabilized by then and you'll be able to better access the injury. If you wrap now and the leg is still swelling, you risk the wrappings becoming to tight.

Is she the only chick that hatched?
Hi, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately she passed during the night. I’m not sure if there was further internal injury I didn’t see or if leaving her in the sling overnight caused it?

Back
Top Bottom