Day Old Chicks With Diarrhea

Matilda Belle

Crowing
May 16, 2018
SE Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
The chicks hatched Saturday and ever since Monday I’ve noticed their poop has been runny. No blood, just runny.

They are fed unmedicated feed and give water with vitamins, electrolytes and probiotics.

Heat source is a heat plate so I know they aren’t overheated.

@Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive

Last edited:
The chicks hatched Saturday and ever since Monday I’ve noticed their poop has been runny. No blood, just runny.

They are fed unmedicated feed and give water with vitamins, electrolytes and probiotics.

Heat source is a heat plate so I know they aren’t overheated.
They don’t need the electrolytes and probiotics as their food contains enough. Try clean fresh water and see if that makes a difference.

Have you watched to see if they're eating from the feeder? Some chicks don't get the hang of finding their food in a feeder at first and may not be eating enough so their poop is on the soupy side. I suggest getting a paper plate or saucer and putting some crumbles on it so the chicks can find their food on the floor as is their instinct. I've found this transitions them to using their feeder more effectively.

@Aapomp831 is right. Chicks only need the electrolytes and extra vitamins immediately after hatch or after surviving a trip through the mail. Extending them unnecessarily can put a strain on developing kidneys.

Have you watched to see if they're eating from the feeder? Some chicks don't get the hang of finding their food in a feeder at first and may not be eating enough so their poop is on the soupy side. I suggest getting a paper plate or saucer and putting some crumbles on it so the chicks can find their food on the floor as is their instinct. I've found this transitions them to using their feeder more effectively.

@Aapomp831 is right. Chicks only need the electrolytes and extra vitamins immediately after hatch or after surviving a trip through the mail. Extending them unnecessarily can put a strain on developing kidneys.
Interesting. I've never heard that before. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom