Day old chicks.

tim85a

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 27, 2014
Essex, England
Hi everyone.

I'm getting (hopefully) some day old chicks on Monday.

So I have everything ready, I would like to know how much good to get. I don't want to get loads and have it leftover, but I don't want to get to little and have to get more.

I'm planing on getting 4 chicks to keep for eggs and 3 for meat. I'm planing on feeding them on crumb to start with then move then to layers and growers after splitting them up.

I guess what I want to know is how much do chicks eat so I can get enough.

If there is already a thread on this sorr. And would someone stick a link below so I can read it.

Thanks for your time and knowledge.
Tim

I think you will need 80lbs+ of chick feed until they are big enough to eat regular food. I have 14 chicks and i have gone through about 40 pounds of chick food. 7 of my chicks are almost 2 months and the others will be a month in 2 weeks. Hope this helps!

I know! They spill SO MUCH on the floor! But I just take the feeder out and they'll pick it up off the floor. You may want to raise the water about 1/2 an inch, because they will poop in it.
tongue.png
Happy I could help!
smile.png

Unless I had less than 4 chicks, I'd buy feed by the 50# bag. When that bag is empty, you can buy the next appropriate bag, based on their age. The 20# bags are so much more expensive/#.

Most chickens eat about three pounds of feed for each pound of body weight. A six pound chicken had to eat eighteen pounds of feed to get there! There is a range, with Cornishx and Leghorns generally being more efficient, but in a backyard environment, don't count on it. Then again, feed loses quality (vitamins) in storage, so plan to use a bag in less than 60 days or so. Mary

Back
Top Bottom