Day Old Jubilee Orpington Chick Color

Jmurcks

Songster
10 Years
Oct 30, 2009
North Alabama
I have a group of Jubilee Orpingtons that I bought at 1 week old from Craigslist. Finally they stared laying and I incubated the eggs. Now these are my only chickens I have now so there is 0 chance of them being mixed on my end. Here comes the trouble part: When the eggs hatched the chicks are not the same color at a day old! Some are dark chipmunk colored while some are yellow with dark stripes... I have raised mottled Cochins, Favorelles, Brahmas and they have all hatched a uniform color. This has blown my mind and makes me afraid that maybe the flock is mixed with another breed and not 100% Jubilee Orpington. I really like them and would hate to start over with a new flock but I am not really wanting to breed mix breed chicks, either! Just looking for opinions on what everyone thinks! Thanks!

Attachments

• D323DA1C-1568-4587-94D4-9B52281A8DEA.jpeg
    D323DA1C-1568-4587-94D4-9B52281A8DEA.jpeg
    421.2 KB · Views: 155
I have never had jubilee Orpington's before, only buff. I would wait until they are grown and see if you like color before you think about starting the flock over. I think I have seen jubilee chicks with these kind of markings before so I don't think you should be too worried yet.

Jubilee's look very similar to buffs when hatched. They should be buff to light red in color when they hatch and solid colored. Those chicks are way off of what they should be. Please post pictures of your breeders. I wonder if you actually have Speckled Sussex instead of Jubilee Orpingtons. Those chicks look right for Speckled Sussex chicks.

I have Jubilee Orpingtons. All of my chicks, with the exception of one, have chipmunk stripes! I know I have purebred Jubilee Orpingtons. They came from top breeders in the US.
IMG_20180524_090935627_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180524_090920717_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180524_090920717_HDR.jpg
    617.9 KB · Views: 94
Hmm...Well, yes, the chicks are a yellow color when hatched but mine have been minus the black mascara that some of your (jmurcks) chicks possess. I think this will be a wait and see type of thing. They are cute and adorable however.

Back
Top Bottom